PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Absolutely... I viewed all the videos several weeks ago and they are invaluable. Keep in-mind folks, there's a huge learning curve ahead -actually, several of them. One for the machine itself. One for Mach 3. Another for your CAM software...

As I take notes, I'm writing things in a logical progression so that future newcomers can hone-in a little faster...

EDIT: FWIW, I am re-reviewing the Mach 3 tutorial videos this morning... There are 4 or 5 and each is about 30 minutes long.

Ray

I am wishing I would have started on the software long ago. Now I have a functional mill in my garage and don't know how to use it. Doh! The videos have been very useful so far, some I had to watch 2-3 times to grasp everything.

All,

So far, I've created a step-by-step set of instructions for installing Mach 3, the driver and, the initial configuration parameters. It is in rough, draft format and seems to work. I did a dry run on the sample G-code for the "roadrunner" program supplied with Mach 3. By dry run, I mean the spindle had no cutting tool and the head was raised artificially high and, the table was centered under the spindle. That sample program is not intended to really cut anything as it only spins the spindle to 60 RPM. It only tells you if your machine seems to be functioning properly. -The good news... It seemed to do everything properly the very first time. I ran the same program several times repeatedly and it ran perfectly each time.

Fellow member "Boswell" was very helpful in getting the motor control parameters setup -much thanks goes to him.

I'm going to have a few people review the document before sharing it with wider distribution and I state right-up front, this is in draft format and the integrity of the parameters have not been fully tested and it is "use at your own risk".

I will say this... The hardware as it arrived was perfectly setup. The limit switches were correct, the motors and all electrical cabinet switch settings were perfect. The integrator who distributes the machine assumes the user knows how to use Mach 3 and how to set the parameters -and that is a HUGE learning curve with much room for user-error...

I did some very precise measurements with the step function -and much to my surprise, when you tell it to move 0.0001" (one ten-thousandth of an inch) -that's exactly how far it moves! -WOW! I'm impressed.

My goal is to develop a set of basic instruction on how to install the software, drivers and do a basic sane configuration of the motor parameters. How to use CNC software and learning the ins/outs of Mach 3 is something we'll all have to experience together...

My goal is to have that basic set of instructions done in the next few days... I'm working on this practically around the clock...

Ray

All,

Here is a first draft of the PM 45 CNC software setup manual... This works well on my machine but, it does not cover machines with manual speed selector gearbox heads. This only covers the variable speed units. The only difference will be that you'll need to setup multiple "Spindle Pulley" configurations whereas, this document only shows one Spindle Pulley configuration. It will be easy to replicate the information for a multi-step machine.

Again, I'd like to thank all the folks I've been on the phone with who helped me and solved some of the basic configuration mysteries... They shall remain nameless for now as I don't have permission to use their real names.

Ray

View attachment PM45CNCBasicSoftwareSetup-1.pdf

All,

Here is a first draft of the PM 45 CNC software setup manual... This works well on my machine but, it does not cover machines with manual speed selector gearbox heads. This only covers the variable speed units. The only difference will be that you'll need to setup multiple "Spindle Pulley" configurations whereas, this document only shows one Spindle Pulley configuration. It will be easy to replicate the information for a multi-step machine.

Again, I'd like to thank all the folks I've been on the phone with who helped me and solved some of the basic configuration mysteries... They shall remain nameless for now as I don't have permission to use their real names.

Ray

View attachment 71511

Thanks, I will work on this tonight. I have to setup multiple Spindle Pulley configurations.

Thanks, I will work on this tonight. I have to setup multiple Spindle Pulley configurations.

For now, just set up one and only set the spindle speeds in the range of that one gear. Once you see how to do one of them, you'll see that it's the same thing for the others.

If for some reason your spindle won't fire-up, I think you'll probably need to change PWM setting on page 21 to something more suitable.

There's another user here named Zr8cnc who has the same machine as your and his is working. Since I don't have that machine, there's no way I can test it.

All the other controls are the same...

Ray

Guys,

Right now, I'm about to flip my wig on getting the table dimensions and soft limits set straight. I'm thinking of changing the home location to the South West corner instead of South East.

BTW, the setup instructions do not have table dimensions or soft limits properly set...

Ray

What a difference a day makes...

Excellent progress with the machine today! I got the homing and soft-limits working the way I want them. The machine comes pre-configured for Home set at the South East corner of the table -which is apparently more common outside the USA and also in some of the really gigantic machines. All the darn tutorials on YouTube etc have it set on the South West corner, making it hard to visualize/translate all the available instructional materials.

It didn't take long at all... -Just moved the position of some stop switches and twiddled the software configuration. The soft limits need a tiny bit of tweaking but, it's all but a done-deal right now. I also made progress on setting and using predefined offsets. -Very valuable thing to do... Wow, what possibilities!

Very soon, I'll be ready to cut some metal.... probably by the end of the week. I'm taking my time and learning EVERYTHING I need, to do this right and not screw things up... Funny how you get that way when around 7 grand is at stake...

Ray

What a difference a day makes...

Excellent progress with the machine today! I got the homing and soft-limits working the way I want them. The machine comes pre-configured for Home set at the South East corner of the table -which is apparently more common outside the USA and also in some of the really gigantic machines. All the darn tutorials on YouTube etc have it set on the South West corner, making it hard to visualize/translate all the available instructional materials.

It didn't take long at all... -Just moved the position of some stop switches and twiddled the software configuration. The soft limits need a tiny bit of tweaking but, it's all but a done-deal right now. I also made progress on setting and using predefined offsets. -Very valuable thing to do... Wow, what possibilities!

Very soon, I'll be ready to cut some metal.... probably by the end of the week. I'm taking my time and learning EVERYTHING I need, to do this right and not screw things up... Funny how you get that way when around 7 grand is at stake...

Ray

Good to hear you were able to get the Y axis Home switched around without trouble. I look forward to hearing about your results to see if if this is something worth doing on my machine.

Good to hear you were able to get the Y axis Home switched around without trouble. I look forward to hearing about your results to see if if this is something worth doing on my machine.

Actually, Y and X. The change is easy and the soft limits are fantastic! It keeps you from bumping a switch and then needing to go through all the rigamarole of resetting the condition...

Ray

Back