PM1236 gears

You can get a die head for threads or get the 1236T, both costing more.

What do you mean die head? Tailstock die holder? or something else?

Precision Matthews uploaded a new manual this week showing the cast iron stand ...pages 38-39. They still have the coolant pump in the back of the right stanchion. I was sorry to hear this. Why put something that will require replacing or at least maintenance behind a part that weighs 1200 pounds plus and requires levelling and set up once moved? I will find another location for mine as it is going against a wall and I ain't moving it after that. :confused:

I was going to attach the file but it is kinda large for uploading so here is the link, if I did it correctly......

Here's an example of a die head-they can easily cut class 3 threads(or class 4) in one pass, depth is limited to about 2-3 inches.https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRW-Geometric-DS-N-3-4-Die-Head-Thread-Chaser-1-Shank-with-19-Chasers-e-pb4/324387517671?hash=item4b8700b4e7:g:JFAAAOSwIqlfvJdS

Here's an example of a die head-they can easily cut class 3 threads(or class 4) in one pass, depth is limited to about 2-3 inches.https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRW-Geometric-DS-N-3-4-Die-Head-Thread-Chaser-1-Shank-with-19-Chasers-e-pb4/324387517671?hash=item4b8700b4e7:g:JFAAAOSwIqlfvJdS

Thank you Pacifica. I have not heard or seen those before nor heard of them.

What do you mean die head? Tailstock die holder? or something else?

Precision Matthews uploaded a new manual this week showing the cast iron stand ...pages 38-39. They still have the coolant pump in the back of the right stanchion. I was sorry to hear this. Why put something that will require replacing or at least maintenance behind a part that weighs 1200 pounds plus and requires levelling and set up once moved? I will find another location for mine as it is going against a wall and I ain't moving it after that. :confused:

I was going to attach the file but it is kinda large for uploading so here is the link, if I did it correctly......

If you are talking about the pump in the cast stand it goes in from the front. I got mine about 6 month ago and it has three drawers on the left and a door on the right that the pump goes in. I just set my pump system off in a box as I don't intend on using flood coolant on a lathe. Too messy.

If you are talking about the pump in the cast stand it goes in from the front. I got mine about 6 month ago and it has three drawers on the left and a door on the right that the pump goes in. I just set my pump system off in a box as I don't intend on using flood coolant on a lathe. Too messy.
Thanks av8ter

Yup. They said a week or two for inspection, then they'll start shipping them out. I actually asked them to hold mine a little longer, as I'm right in the middle of purchasing a new home - and I want to close that so I can have it shipped straight there. I'm not planning on having mine until early May.
Hey fursphere: I guess you still have not received your lathe due to your move? I got mine yesterday. It was on the USA side of the border for a week so was shipped very quickly. I just needed to coordinate with my broker/importer to bring it into Canada.
I started unpacking yesterday and assembling today. A bit of head scratching. PM did up load a new manual recently but I still am confused ....minor stuff.

I think the rod for the foot brake is too long. When the cabinets are positioned for the drip tray holes to align with the cabinets, the rod does not fit. It is pinned in place so no adjustment. I will need to cut off 1.5 inches. I was wondering if yours is the same. The lathe does require a fair amount of access room around it. The back for electrical panel access and the tailstock end. I will be rearranging my shop. Not a complaint. Just a heads up.

Did you order the anti-vibration pads? I did not but do see the advantages in them for adjustments. I was hoping anyone who has used them can comment whether the vibration absorption is necessary on a concrete garage floor....

Last edited:
Hey fursphere: I guess you still have not received your lathe due to your move? I got mine yesterday. It was on the USA side of the border for a week so was shipped very quickly. I just needed to coordinate with my broker/importer to bring it into Canada.
I started unpacking yesterday and assembling today. A bit of head scratching. PM did up load a new manual recently but it still seems to be some misinformation...minor stuff.

I think the rod for the foot brake is too long. When the cabinets are positioned for the drip tray holes to align with the cabinets, the rod does not fit. It is pinned in place so no adjustment. I will need to cut off 1.5 inches. I was wondering if yours is the same. The lathe does require a fair amount of access room around it. The back for electrical panel access and the tailstock end. I will be rearranging. Not a complaint. Just a heads up.

Did you order the anti-vibration pads? I did not but do see the advantages in them for adjustments. I was hoping anyone who has used them can comment whether the vibration absorption is necessary on a concrete garage floor....
Hey there.

I just got mine delivered yesterday. I've only opened the crate to inspect for damage - everything looks good so far. Now I get to move it to the new house next week. (get the keys tomorrow)

I got the cast iron stands with mine (man they're heavy - had to use the engine hoist to move them around), not sure if that will match what you've got. But if you need me to dig something out of the crate and measure it I can. Are you talking about the rod that goes in between the two cabinets (horizontal orientation) that the foot brake mounts too, or the one inside the left cabinet that connects to the head stock (vertical orientation)?

I did not get the anti-vibration feet with mine. I"ve seen some folks actually remove them for solid feet and get better results. I've got some solid type leveling feet for mine that hopefully will work ok.

The manual is online on the website, and has been recently updated. Make sure you're looking at the most recent version.

Page 38 has a section for the "new" foot brake setup for lathes mid-2020 and newer.

Btw - Mine seems to have come with a spider setup, something that wasn't listed as part of the PEP package. Was a nice surprise. :)

I asked about the cast iron stand for the 1340, but I was told it was not available :cautious:

It is really no sweat once you have the lathe in front of you, you will get used to it quickly. The only thing I have to add is that on my particular PM1236 I needed to use a gear puller for the first 10 changes or so until it wore in a bit. After that, the process is super quick.

Hey there.

I just got mine delivered yesterday. I've only opened the crate to inspect for damage - everything looks good so far. Now I get to move it to the new house next week. (get the keys tomorrow)

I got the cast iron stands with mine (man they're heavy - had to use the engine hoist to move them around), not sure if that will match what you've got. But if you need me to dig something out of the crate and measure it I can. Are you talking about the rod that goes in between the two cabinets (horizontal orientation) that the foot brake mounts too, or the one inside the left cabinet that connects to the head stock (vertical orientation)?

I did not get the anti-vibration feet with mine. I"ve seen some folks actually remove them for solid feet and get better results. I've got some solid type leveling feet for mine that hopefully will work ok.

The manual is online on the website, and has been recently updated. Make sure you're looking at the most recent version.

Page 38 has a section for the "new" foot brake setup for lathes mid-2020 and newer.

Btw - Mine seems to have come with a spider setup, something that wasn't listed as part of the PEP package. Was a nice surprise. :)

Congrats on the house! Exciting times, and a new lathe too....life is good for you. Cheers!

I do have the cast iron stands. Yes, the weight surprised me too. I think in the first instructions you get to, page 2 or 3ish, it says put the stands 34" apart but that becomes obviously wrong if you put the chip tray on and line up the lathe mounting holes. After lining up the bases and getting it all set, then I tried the chip tray...oops...so trial and error. Then there are newer instructions pertinent to the cast iron stands starting on page 38, as you mention but they don't really address positioning but does address the newer style of base, ie access panels, etc. But then, as mentioned above, after positioning so the bolt holes line up, the foot pedal bar needs to be cut off. :mad: I don't think I need anything measured. It looks straight forward after jumping around the instruction book, and moving stands around and considering clearances needed for future considerations, etc. Odd that they put all of the electrical access at the back of a machine that I would think would generally go into a small shop, against a wall.

The manual looks really good compared to what would normally come with such a machine but still needs some work, imho. Will see how far I get tomorrow but I think I have my head around where I am going now. I have an idea for feet so see if that works out. I will report back.

Pretty nice looking machine. Can hardly wait to try it out.

Cheers,

Back