Pm45 Hot X-axis Stepper Motor

zr8cnc

Active User
Registered
The stepper motor on my x-axis is really hot compared to the other 2 motors when milling. I don't know if it has always been this way but i recently noticed this. It turns freely and is not binding in anyway. I was just curious if any other owners had any similar concerns.

Thanks

Based on some tests I did, if it's doing most of the work then it will run hotter. The only other thing might be the setting on the drives are not the same.

are you referring to actual driver board setting? so just verify that they are all set the same way?

are you referring to actual driver board setting? so just verify that they are all set the same way?

I should have been more clear on that, Yes.

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Both X and Y axis motors ran hot to the point I couldn't keep my hand on the motors longer than a second. I adjusted the current setting (dip switches) so the motors draw fewer amps. The motors now run at about 125F to 130F on long g-code runs. As long as you aren't pushing the motor's max capability the lower amperage setting shouldn't be a problem.

Tom S

thanks for the input Guys! I will give it a look. I have been doing long runs for upwards of 5-8 hours at a time but I noticed that the motor was hot when i was only cutting for about an hour. and I think i was only cutting 17ipm

On the stepper controllers that I have worked with, there was a provision for setting the hold current. That current is intended to prevent the motor from slipping steps when in a static condition and is adjustable from zero to the full driving current. The primary reason for reducing that current is to reduce heating. If your motor is heating up while just idling, you may want to look at adjusting that current.

Back