Polishing a turd or fettling a HF X-Y vise

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
hmm, title might be a bit strong, but I figured I'd head off criticism of my choice before it started :)

Long story short is that I want to do some light milling on my WT 15in drill press until I know where I'll be in 6mths (or even what country) and have the funds to buy a proper mill. Yes, I know milling in a drill press is a bad idea and I've taken on board all the advice and cautions to that end, as well as being the lucky recipient of a thread on collet chuck from George Wilson (thanks George!). I also needed an X-Y vise of some sort and with a 25% off coupon, I could just about afford a 6in X-Y vise from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cross-slide-vise-32997.html)

image_17674.jpg

I bought it knowing that I was basically buying a kit of castings and screws, so I expected to spend a fair bit of time removing paint from where it wasn't supposed to be and filing/ sanding down machining marks. I was pleasantly surprised when it turned up, pretty solid and moved relatively smoothly. That was the extent of my playing with it though as I immediately stripped it down :) I've since spent a bunch of time scraping off paint and smoothing down the sliding surfaces, so it now slides around much more smoothly and easily (pics of the parts later).

One thing that I wasn't that impressed with (although they were in line with the price) were the end plates for the lead screws which were plain stamped steel plates. The end of the lead screw rotated on and in the plate with the captive nut/ dial rubbing on the other side. Also, neither lead screw was supported at the other end. The upper one isn't long enough to be supported, but the lower one runs within the casting. So I raided my machinist buddy's bearing stash at work (he scavenges them from any broken down equipment that comes through the repair shop) and came up with 2 bearings that fit the handle end of the leadscrews and one that would fit within the casting to capture the other end of the lower screw. I scrounged some brass to make thrust bearings to sit under the captive nuts.

I thought I'd tackle the upper screw end plate first as it was a bit more complicated. I'm using some 1/2in thick alu plate that I scrounged out of a metal recycling bin.

With original end plate
IMG_3248_zps22eb896a.jpg

Rough cut on my poor complaining band saw
IMG_3249_zps56024350.jpg

Faced and finished on most of the sides (next one I'll do the facing after the holes!). I did the facing with a round nose HSS bit that my uncle in law gave me - it had sat unused in his tool box since the Vietnam war!
IMG_3250_zpse0440808.jpg

Chucked up in my 4 jaw, boring out the bearing pocket. It's recessed by 0.5mm at the back to provide clearance for the inner race.
IMG_3251_zpsacd3809c.jpg

Done and faced flat
IMG_3253_zps158bf5a3.jpg

Other side done with recessed holes for the new bolts and the brass "thrust" washer I need to make.
IMG_3252_zps115a1585.jpg

Close up
IMG_3254_zpse09e79a7.jpg

I still need to make the washers out of some flat plate, tap new threads for the larger bolts, make the lower bearing plate (similar to this one, but rectangular) and grind down the end of the lower screw to fit the outboard bearing. Hopefully by the end of this week as I really want to start using this vise, even just for drilling!

more to come

hey, it's my turd so I'll polish it as much as I like :D

That's made a LOT better than its HF predecessor, that one didn't even have dovetail ways.

Thanks! I have that same exact turd (er, "vise"). Got it for $10 at a farm auction. Fixing it up is on my list as it is what I will have to make do with until I can scrounge some sort of table for the Avey.

That's made a LOT better than its HF predecessor, that one didn't even have dovetail ways.

I think it's fairly well made, especially for the price, and it has pretty good reviews too. One of the dovetails looks like it was machined in 2 passes (2 different heights) and one of the passes was pretty ****ty, but it filed down to one continuous surface. As a plus, there's plenty of small pockets to hold oil :)

Thanks! I have that same exact turd (er, "vise"). Got it for $10 at a farm auction. Fixing it up is on my list as it is what I will have to make do with until I can scrounge some sort of table for the Avey.

can't argue with that price! You probably don't need to go as far as I did (always have solutions in search of problems ;)), although brass/ bronze washers either side of the end plates would make it a lot smoother for a fraction of the effort. Lapping the gibs on a piece of glass and hunting down all the over spray would be a good idea too. At the end of the day, you'll still have a nice handy drill press vise, even if you don't use if for milling - that's my philosophy.

I would have done my Drill Press that way but I already had a straight X-Y table. I just add a rotary table or vise when needed. A unit like that will come in handy, especially once upgraded. Also, I agree. a Drill Press will work as a Mill in light work.

"Billy G"

thanks Bill :) I spent some time looking around for a used proper X-Y table but there's very little used tooling for sale around here and the $150+ for a new one was waaaay beyond my budget. Just drilling those holes for the bolts was a pain and would have been a breeze with this vise up and running.

One question (to all) - the vise slots on the drill table don't match the width of the vise base with the vise handles in front and to the left of me. I can turn the vise around and make some kind of step clamps to use the slots on the table and the side of the vise, but then I'll have the jaw screw facing the column. I don't have a suitably large lump of metal to bolt the vise to and then bolt to the table and I'd really rather not have to drill holes in the table to mount the vise.

Any ideas?

Make what is known as an engineering plate. Put holes to match the table and holes to match the vise. Bolt it to the vise first the then the assembly to the table. It need not be fancy.

"Billy G"

hmm, good idea. I might have to make it out of wood first until I can scrounge some metal plate of some description, although thankfully I do have a lot of wood in the garage. I'll see if I can find a flat piece of hardwood somewhere. I'm still kicking myself for not scrounging a large piece (12in by 12in?) of 3/8" aluminium that I saw in the metal recycling bin at work, thought I wouldn't have a use for it (slap). Never again :)

Also have to figure out a way of using the dial indicator (1in, 0.001") I have to get the vise properly perpendicular to the spindle. At least I have plenty of steel rods of different sizes I could use to cobble something together.

Back