2016 POTD Thread Archive

Nice looking work!
You seem to have the affliction of perfectionism. Good for you!
Adjustable feet could be handy.
I've been machining cast iron and must clean the chucks every day/several times a day
Normally clean them several times a year or as needed.

I hope he reconsiders bolting the frame to the floor. A nice weldment for sure.

Cool indeed, but very strange looking, too! How did the (wet?) beads react to the molten metal? I'd 'a thunk there would have been a fantastic steam eruption, or that the most of beads would have floated to the surface. Lots of odd things going on there. Now to find a use/customer for your very artistic sculptures ...

PS - what is it the "water beads" were originally intended for????

they are the same stuff thats used in diapers, I'm told. there is very little steam, but a bunch of stinky smoke as some of the beads burn off. the drum is solid beads, no actual standing water, its odd feeling to push your hand into the stuff, it comes out just dampish, not water dripping. . . i have added food coloring to a few gallons of them and added to the barrel. tomorrow or friday when it warms up, I'm going to spend a half day or so, just melting and pouring to see what all i can get. both aluminum and brass. if i had a suitable crucible i would try a half dozen silver dollars and see what that produces. that may be a very interesting way to display your silver. . . instead of just leaving stacks of coins on an end table or safe or whatever.

i feel its a shame to grind or hide a good looking weld,
steel or aluminum. it shows real talent.
remember the old saying" putty and paint makes a carpenter what he ain't"

Been spending the last couple days to finish up some project machining I need my lathe for. I want to extend my HF 7 x 12 so it will be down for a bit. Should be done with things I need the lathe for in a couple days ( I hope ). Then I can clean it and start taking it apart for the extension project. I will probably end up doing some other mods to it before I am done.

Bondo would smooth out any trouble areas

Bondo is evil. I speak as a restorer of old cars.

If what you mean is bondo as a generic term for filler, than OK. But really, don't use the product named Bondo*. There are other choices that will serve you far better. I recommend All Metal**. In thin coats it has proven to be a great material for us.

Not that I am bitter for my clients that have Bondo filled cars...

Ugh.

*I have no financial interest in the company producing this product.
**I have no financial interest in the company producing this product. I am also not affiliated with Amazon or receive renumeration from Amazon.

That's funny!. When I first did any bodywork bondo brand was the only product out there. Tells you how old I am. LOL

I am using Rage Gold, some left over from a car project.

I started with auto body work in the 60s..:grin big:

9.JPG

I'm learning myself bodywork with a mig and patch panels, I don't plan on using any plastic filler.

Back