2016 POTD Thread Archive

Too much mess in the shop last night from doing home maintenance tasks and such to be able to do any real work, and it was raining so I didn't want to take stuff back out to the shed. Spent the evening watching tv with my wife while honing some old lathe tools. This RexAAA steel is great (and the Firth Sterling Circle C is incredible). A few MoMax bits and others in the mix as well.

404be541db4efe509baab8865758256e.jpg

Too much mess in the shop last night from doing home maintenance tasks and such to be able to do any real work, and it was raining so I didn't want to take stuff back out to the shed. Spent the evening watching tv with my wife while honing some old lathe tools. This RexAAA steel is great (and the Firth Sterling Circle C is incredible). A few MoMax bits and others in the mix as well.

404be541db4efe509baab8865758256e.jpg
Jon,

I recently picked up some new old stock of REX, Circle C and MoMax bits of various sizes. I have heard about the MoMax and REX bits being really good but haven't seen anything about the Circle C. Can you, or anyone experienced with these bits, expound the virtues of each brand of bit?

thanks

Mike

I don't know a lot about them except that they get mentioned in forums ("If you see Firth Sterling or RexAAA on eBay just buy it!" type comments), and some came with my lathe. The Circle C grinds VERY slowly and it looks like chrome in every way. Seems to weigh more than the others, though I haven't calculated that. It's beautiful. I'll have to get a better shot of mine later.

When I bought my lathe I got a bucket with all kinds of bits in it. More than I'll ever use. Sizes from 1/4" to 3/4".
MoMax, Rex AAA and some Circle C and other names I can't remember at the moment. It took a better part of a day to sort thru them. I just ended up sorting by size and putting them in a divider box I picked up from HF with a see thru lid.
Jon is correct on the Circle C bits. They are hard to grind and are really shiny. But once ground, they will cut just about anything.
If I remember next time I am in the shop, I'll try and snap a pic.

Last week at the dump I found about 10 or 12 rusty hack saw blades. They were held together by a bit of wire through their end holes. They seemed to be sharp, just a bit rusty. So I took them home, cleaned off the rust, and oiled them.

Today I needed to make about 30 cuts through 1" square steel bar stock using my Craftsman Hack Saw:

HPIM0831.JPG

I used one of those found blades. Worked great and made me feel smart and thrifty.

Last edited:
Nice find, I got my treadmill from the dump, brought it home gutted the motor and control then brought it back

Charlie was building a fire pit at the back of the shed for him and his buddies to drink beer around. So I said we can improve on that, sort of a hold my beer and watch this.
Had a surplus forge blower someone gave me, a piece of 2 inch pipe with an elbow and we have forced draft.
IMG_2192.jpg

Will melt an aluminum can in about 10 to 15 seconds.

IMG_2199.jpg

Greg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

Today I made two sets of Lathe Donuts!

First bolt a 6 x 6.75 x 1 1018 steel plate down to the mill table (MDF under)

upload_2016-5-20_22-16-35.png

Then grab a 1/4 inch x 1 inch DOC, solid carbide router bit
upload_2016-5-20_22-17-38.png

Then start cutting, 0.062 DOC, 1800 RPM, 5 IPM (have to go slow because the tool is so spindly), Kerosene for cutting oil because that's what I had in the tank.
upload_2016-5-20_22-32-27.png

Let run for about 2.5 hrs while I work on my corner smoothing software mods for my router and clean the shop.;) The corner smoothing software mod worked perfectly, and I vacuumed up 55 gal of plastic chips.

The tool bit is 0.248, and the parts are laid out 0.270 apart.
upload_2016-5-20_22-23-30.png

And milling is finished
upload_2016-5-20_22-30-44.png

Next over to the lathe and drill 15/16 and bore to 1.002. Dial everything in on the first part, then ''trust the dials''. I have no idea how accurate the cross slide screw is, but it's very repeatable and in this case, that's all I care about. Drill hole, dial to 0.010, make a pass. Dial to 0, make a another pass, reverse the carriage drive, and run the spring pass on the way out, and done. I normally would have used a shorter boring bar, but that's what was in the holder.
upload_2016-5-20_22-34-0.png

And here they are. They still need set screws, but it's getting late and I'm tired. Time to quit for the day before I do something stupid.:cautious: There is always tomorrow!
upload_2016-5-20_22-46-28.png

These are used on glass blowing lathes. Here's a pic I grabbed off of the net. The ones shown in the pic are are round, but the ones I made have a 120° angle machined on them so they will close down to about 3/16. Those are 3 jaw, glass blowing, scroll chucks, both the headstock and tailstock are powered. A little different that what we normally see.

upload_2016-5-20_22-47-9.png

Last edited:
Back