2016 POTD Thread Archive

Bought a surface grinder. Going Monday to pick it up. Its a 2 hour drive each way. I will post pics of course. :)
There are much worse things than a drive through the Carolinas. I only spent about 10 weeks out there but it was absolutely beautiful. Also it was June-August and I was not conditioned for that kind of heat and humidity. But very beautiful.

And now I scroll and see the next posts.

Man, that is rough. I can only try to imagine how that affects you both now and going forward. Thank you for your service and dedication.

There are much worse things than a drive through the Carolinas. I only spent about 10 weeks out there but it was absolutely beautiful. Also it was June-August and I was not conditioned for that kind of heat and humidity. But very beautiful.
You are correct. It will be mostly interstate travel so the sights wont be that great.

In some ways I really liked how back east only some routes have interstate options. Far more interesting drives. Out here (Utah and neighboring states) there are precious few destinations more than about 20 miles off of an interstate. You have to plan to figure out a route that will be more enjoyable (for a motorcycle ride, for instance). On the other hand out there when I wanted to get somewhere quickly it was frustrating to not have an interstate in the area. I was in Georgetown, SC (45 minutes or so south of Myrtle Beach), but I've had similar experiences in Virginia and New York-Connecticut, particularly the area east of Poughkeepsie, or anywhere east of the Hudson for that matter, and again in Kingston-Saugerties and west to Woodstock and beyond. Beautiful but slow.

I won an old car mirror assemble station in and on-line auction for about US$85 - basically because it was constructed out of T-slot aluminium extrusion which I have a use for in a future project. Pick it up in the middle of the week and finished dimantling the mechanical side today (as it was taking up too much space in my workshop and I couldn't do and anything else with it in the way).

3f143521-adef-4838-9a16-8e7b297cd545_fullsize.jpg

Inside the bottom cabinet

e3b81b9f-3d5a-46d7-8ef7-5c4525ad1ad0_fullsize.jpg

Came away with a total of 8 pneumatic servomototors all with position sensors, 1 rotary pneumatic sevro, 6 liniear bearings and rods, 4 resistive position sensors, 4 optical position sensors, ~15 pneumatic solinoid valves, 6 pressure regulators, pneumatic filter/water trap and a fair bit of aluminum plate and brackets (the table top is made from 10mm thick Al plate) - plus over 20m of T-slot extrusion.

Still have the electrical cabinet on the back to strip down which has a full PLC with about 10 I/O cards and the screen, 4 power supplies, bar code scanner, circuit breakers, relays, rail and terminal blocks, etc which will all be stored away for future repurposing.

Quite amasing what goes into assembling and testing a car mirror these days.

Great score, Peter! I, my very self, could find use for some of that t-slot aluminum extrusion.

Looks like you hit the jackpot on that test station. Well done Peter. Might be time to start on some kind of fantastical Rube Goldberg machine with all of that hardware. Cheers, Mike

Back