2017 POTD Thread Archive

doing some more work on the lapping plate, got the feet milled into it, and after machining I checked for distortion and it seemed to have stayed the same, as you can tell by the bluing, during cutting the cross-hatch my cutter broke, so I made note of what line the program was at and when I get the replacement I will finish it out, I don't think I will scrape that surface, as the squares are pretty small, bout 1/4x1/4
View attachment 120555 View attachment 120556 View attachment 120557 View attachment 120558
What type of metal did you use and is it hardened? Looks great. Do you mind sharing the dimensions and other details? I have one of these on my project wish lists.

You are also correct, that walking into a shop that you are proud of never gets old. I thought my last shop was nice and I was very proud of that one, but this one is on a whole different level.

Thanks again Randy.

Mike

Mike, I'm drooling. What are the black tops on the benches ? Granite, Soapstone, just plastic laminate?

Yea, If that is what drives the compressor, what size if it. The Exhaust for that motor looks like about a 4 inch, and the muffler looks about as big as him. That compressor must need to generate one heck of a lot in a hurry.

I AM PLAYING WITH WIRES . NOT MY FAVORITE JOB , BUT IT MUST BE DONE .

THE WIRING HARNESS I HAVE FOR MY TG-500 IS ACTUALLY A KR-200 HARNESS
THAT I AM MODIFYING TO WORK IN THE 4 WHEELER .

I NEED TO RUN EXTRA WIRES TO THE REAR FOR THE THREE ADITIONAL GAUGES .
I ALSO NEED TO RUN ADITIONAL GROUND WIRES FOR ALL THE GAUGES & LIGHTS
BECAUSE OF THE FIBERGLASS BODY PANELS .

EVERY ONE OF THE WIRES IS BEING SORTED & NUMBERED .
THEN I WILL MAKE UP A WIRING SCHEMATIC .

WHEN I HAVE IT ALL IN PLACE AND WORKING , IT WILL BE WRAPPED WITH HEAT SHRINK
AND CLOTH ELECTRICAL TAPE . THIS WILL TAKE AWHILE .

DSC_0844.JPGDSC_0845.JPGDSC_0846.JPGDSC_0781.JPG

Ah the sound of a screaming Jimmy, the company i worked for used I guess by comparison minuscule 3-53's on the off shore skid winches for wireline work. You couldn't wait to pull that shutdown knob at the end of the job, to get some silence.
The second picture is the compressor,
KIMG0459.jpg
A rotary screw. Kelly has told me the rating but I forget now, maybe a couple of thousand cubic feet per minute at 250 psi? They drive an air drill used to bore holes in rock up to 42 inch I think. Utility companies hire him to bore holes for hydro poles. This one is truck mounted, he also has a couple mounted on wagons. The drill rig is mounted on a tree skidder, it can pull the wagon off road if necessary.
Always wondered how they controlled the output of rotary compressors. Kelly came to the shop one day with a 12 inch butterfly valve, that controls them, the bushings were worn allowing it to stick closed. You simply throttle the inlet air. The valve only see's atmospheric pressure and the compressor has nothing to compress.

Greg

When it becomes lo longer fun, it becomes work. Keep it fun, do a little at a time.

Greg

As a kid, I rode with my uncle who drove a Diamond Reo with a 318 (8V71) and a Jake brake. Tuned my ears to what a real truck sounds like, but I wasn't in the engine compartment. Worked in a neighbor's sawmill that had a 453 six feet away and that was unbearable. I hear what you are saying.

Back