[How do I?] Power Feed On A Sieg X2 Large Table From Lms?

MetalMuncher

Registered
Registered
Little Machine Shop sells an oversized base and XY table for the SIEG X2 style mini mills. Their part number for it is 3677.

I am interested in upgrading my Homier X2 style mini mill with that table, but rather than spend an additional $300 to get the power feed kit that is made for that table, I would like to use the existing power feed I have on my Homier, which is also sold by LMS as part number 2501 (the one with the 0.050" per turn lead screw).

I asked LMS about it and Chris told me the way the 3677 power feed is a bolt on accessory is quite different than how the 2501 connects, so he doesn't think this is possible. But one thing I have learned in over a decade in this hobby is that these little machines have great potential, and many things are possible simply by designing and building what they need to achieve a goal. Indeed, I have a second 2501 power feed box that I just installed as a belt fed drive for my Y axis on this mill. :) I should be able to move it to the larger 3677 with minimal fuss.

So I think it is just a matter of making the right adapter interface between my 2501 power feed and a new 3677 table. I am wondering if anyone has done this already, or has devised any other custom power feed for the X axis on the 3677?

Any advice will be appreciated. :)

I've installed the LMS power feed on my HF44991 and just looked at the installation instructions for the 4211 power feed:
http://littlemachineshop.com/instructions/POWER_FEED_MANUAL__10141.pdf

The mechanical interface is indeed different. However, I wouldn't anticipate too much difficulty adapting the older power feed to the new mill table. You're likely to have to fabricate a new coupling for the drive motor, so it will couple with the new leadscrew. The mounting plate may not be large enough to accommodate the mounting screw spacing/locations on the new mill table, but it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate an intermediate plate to go between them.

My main concern regarding the adaptation would be the strength of the (2501) motor and/or the stall/cutout point setting of the control circuit. I don't know that the 3611/s table is any harder to crank, but because the 4211 uses limit switches to stop travel, it can have a nice, powerful motor. As a PS, I didn't like back-driving the motor when manually turning the X crank on my mill, so once I had the power feed nicely aligned, I installed a pair of (loose fitting) locating dowels between the drive and the table, then modified the drive to make it easier to attach and detach.

Finally ... I was not aware that LMS was offering a retrofit table for this mill. Thanks for your post! Now I gotta do some very serious contemplating of my piggy bank!

Hi Hman,

Thanks for the link to those installation instructions. I learned from them that the end of the leadscrew in that type of table is slotted. That will come in very handy. As I recall, the 2501 shaft coupling also engages a slot in the end of the stock X2 style leadscrew that comes with the power feed kit. But this larger table has a bearing or bushing in its end plate, I think. Where the stock mini mill table does not. So instead of replacing the end cap with the 2501 drive unit mounting plate, I'll need to add another plate (or perhaps a pair of them in a cage fashion) to make the transition. Some folks have recommended adding a dog clutch into the interface. It's never really bothered me to back-drive the drive motor when manually cranking the X axis, because if I am going any distance I use the power feed anyway.

With the modification LMS came out with some years ago, replacing a resistor on the board and increasing the current range of the 2501 power feed, I've not had any issues with a lack of power while using it on my stock table, even after making some modifications to make the column more rigid, allowing me now to easily mill 0.060" in steel and 0.100" or more in aluminum. That sure is better than the light cuts I had to limit myself to making before the column modification project. I was even able to mill full sized T-Slots in a 6" dia. top plate I made for a 3 inch Grizzly rotary table. I don't think that would have been possible prior to stiffening the column.

But if I ever need to replace the 2501 power feed, I will likely spring for the larger 3677 power feed meant for this larger table. The limit switch end stop feature is something I would love to have.

I hear you on the piggy bank. The prices on these machines have gone crazy since I got into this hobby in 2002 when I bought a Homier 7x10 mini lathe for $199. I bought the Homier Speedway branded X2 style mini mill in 2004 for $299. Now this replacement table for it costs more than that. :) If I had it to do over again at today's prices, I probably would never have justified the expense of the startup costs. But, as you well know I am sure, once you are "bitten" by this machining bug, there is no turning back! :)

Thanks!

Back