• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

Project Idea?

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I've ordered 20 lb boxes of aluminum, steel, and brass drops from Online Metals so I've got some material to play with. I was thinking about making something fun to put in my office at work as a conversation piece. I've looked at a few simple steam engine plans, and that's a possibility, but I was wondering if someone here might have plans (or even an idea) for a clever desktop gadget (something with some polished brass, a flywheel, crank, piston, gears, etc.)?

4gsr

HM Shop Superintendent
Staff member
How about the classic "two slider" milling project?

View attachment 249095

Back when the ill-fated TechShop was getting started, I wrote up some projects for them to consider as classes. This one was a milling machine exercise to improve familiarity with DRO, etc.

STEP-BY-STEP: MAKE THE "TWO-SLIDER"
I might get reprimanded saying this.

Down here in the Houston area, we used to call this a "Aggie Pacifier". It will keep you busy until you decide to take it apart as I did with one dad had.

I say no more.

ACHiPo

Great ideas! Thanks. I’d need a mill for the slider? I like the Geneva wheel and the machinist’s cube. Not sure I have the skills for the cube, but could be fun.

savarin

Active User
search google for finger engine, a fantastic and easy desk toy. You can make it as ornate as you want.
I guarantee no one will be able to resist trying it.

savarin

Active User
I would like to make the puzzle block but without a decent mill theres not a chance

magicniner

Finger engines are misnamed...unless they consume some/all of the finger...
Steam engines don't "consume" steam, they just utilise some of the energy in it, if you run a closed system you can collect the dead steam (water) add energy to it and use it again.
Maybe we should be calling them Coal Engines? ;-)

ACHiPo

I'm really liking the idea of a finger-powered-treadle (so named to avoid harming of fingers :rolleyes:)

How can I design a treadle such that the flywheel stops in a position that allows it to restart with a single push of the treadle and doesn't need to rock back and forth to build up momentum? It seems like if the flywheel is (im)balanced such that it stops with the connecting rod is about 1:00 (if the treadle is at 6:00) that there would be enough momentum in the first push to get the flywheel going?

dave_r_1

Steam engines don't "consume" steam, they just utilise some of the energy in it, if you run a closed system you can collect the dead steam (water) add energy to it and use it again.
Maybe we should be calling them Coal Engines? ;-)
I would accept an engine that the finger passed through and was then either recycled and used again, or reattached, as being a "finger engine".

westsailpat

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cooter Brown

Iron
Registered Member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cooter Brown

Iron
Registered Member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="

jlsmithseven

Our class is just finishing up our Geneva Wheels. Nice little project that teaches everyone to work together as a team to get tight tolerances to fit. I made the base with some engraving.

Untitled.png

tq60

I might get reprimanded saying this.

Down here in the Houston area, we used to call this a "Aggie Pacifier". It will keep you busy until you decide to take it apart as I did with one dad had.

I say no more.
Those are called "do nothing"

[6]
[5] [7]