Project Idea?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've ordered 20 lb boxes of aluminum, steel, and brass drops from Online Metals so I've got some material to play with. I was thinking about making something fun to put in my office at work as a conversation piece. I've looked at a few simple steam engine plans, and that's a possibility, but I was wondering if someone here might have plans (or even an idea) for a clever desktop gadget (something with some polished brass, a flywheel, crank, piston, gears, etc.)?

How about the classic "two slider" milling project?

View attachment 249095

Back when the ill-fated TechShop was getting started, I wrote up some projects for them to consider as classes. This one was a milling machine exercise to improve familiarity with DRO, etc.

STEP-BY-STEP: MAKE THE "TWO-SLIDER"

I might get reprimanded saying this.

Down here in the Houston area, we used to call this a "Aggie Pacifier". It will keep you busy until you decide to take it apart as I did with one dad had.

I say no more.

Great ideas! Thanks. I’d need a mill for the slider? I like the Geneva wheel and the machinist’s cube. Not sure I have the skills for the cube, but could be fun.

search google for finger engine, a fantastic and easy desk toy. You can make it as ornate as you want.
I guarantee no one will be able to resist trying it.

Back