qctp ideas/suggestions

rambin

Registered
Registered
I have a little 10*24 Montgomery wards/logan that im slowly rebuilding.. right now it has the lantern style tool posts and the right/left and straight tools for it nothing more... I'd like to get a qctp and hoping someone can suggest a cheap set (I'd like to eventually have boring,threading,parting and knurling capabilities as well as just cutting. its just a hobby lathe for the garage I have very little knowledge of it right now all iknow is ive read that I need an axa size post... off shore would prbly be the answer... suggest away on what and where so I can have a look and decide which way to go

hmm there both pretty much about the same price.... shars would require adding postage. have to give it some thought. I assume any axa tool holder could be acquired to fit any axa post? hate to see what a domestic set would cost! ouch

I have a little 10*24 Montgomery wards/logan that im slowly rebuilding.. right now it has the lantern style tool posts and the right/left and straight tools for it nothing more... I'd like to get a qctp and hoping someone can suggest a cheap set (I'd like to eventually have boring,threading,parting and knurling capabilities as well as just cutting. its just a hobby lathe for the garage I have very little knowledge of it right now all iknow is ive read that I need an axa size post... off shore would prbly be the answer... suggest away on what and where so I can have a look and decide which way to go

As mentioned both Phase II and Shars make a decent QCTP. I have a Phase II AXA on a 10" lathe and a BXA on a 13" lathe. The AXA is the piston style, while the BXA is the wedge style. Both work great and are repeatable. Phase II is a bit more expensive than Shars. I have also purchased several tool holders for both from Shars.

The only caveat is to be sure the tool posts and the tool holders match. Shars has several style posts and holders. The holders only fit one style tool post. They are not interchangeable with other style tool posts.

Have you seen these threads?

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/qctp-holder-review-part-1.52672/

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/qctp-holder-review-part-2.53016/#post-529704

I have a Phase II on my lathe and am happy with it.

Edit: There's a decent looking 2nd hand Phase II piston type on eBay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phase-II-250-100-Quick-Change-Lathe-Tool-Post-/282730613241

Last edited:
no I didn't see that...but its way more information then what I understand... im new to all this just want a decent set so I can get some tooling and play....but not junk

Probably, you bought a lathe to make things, so, I sugest you do one. It is a nice project.
There a lot of plans around (some can be done only with a lathe, no mill requerid) just look at google.

And you will be able to make new holders for your QCTP forever.

Here the one I liked most.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/hydraulic-diy-qctp.60957/#post-502716
way above my skill level....and my tooling level I bought this to learn on and first I need some more tooling to work with then I can play

I believe the Phase II 250 series tool posts are the BXA size. They would be a bit too tall for use on a 10" lathe. The tool height would be above center on all but the smallest tools. As for building your own it's a nice thought, but in my opinion not cost effective unless you're looking for a project. Used tool posts are generally in the price range of the one in the e Bay listing. New tool holders from Shars are generally in the $15.00 to $20.00 range. IN most cases it would cost more to buy the raw material than it would be to buy the finished products.

Back