Quick Change Tool Post Size For 12" Lathe

Armourer

Registered
Registered
Well I finally got some money saved up for a quick change tool post, but before I order I thought I better get your guys second opinion on it. I was sold on a BXA wedge post, but doing a little research found that it may be too large for my lathe. Is that true? Would I be better with a AXA Wedge style? Thanks for the help.
BTW I will be getting it off eBay, is it ok to post links to the ones I am looking at for your opinions?

I have a BXA on my 12x36 and have had no problems with it.

The swing of the lathe has nothing to do with what size tool post your lathe takes, even though some sellers seem to think so. The thing that matters is the height from the top of the compound rest to the spindle center. You can use a center in the tailstock to measure the distance. Shars and Dorian show the actual dimensions so you can see which one will fit your needs best. It takes some thinking and figuring, but don't get a tool post that fits marginally on YOUR lathe.

12 inch is a tricky spot as different brands have different styles of carriages resulting in a wider array of heights.

You want the biggest one that will fit and still allow the tool to adjust properly.

If your lathe is a known model the manufacturer of tool post can suggest proper one.

Otherwise get your carriage close to the Chuck and measure from to of Carriage to center of chuck.

Take a photo and write the dimension down then contact a dealer to see what they suggest and we suggest first set something like the import aloris copies then ebay for add ons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I just got my 12x36 lathe a few months ago. I added a BXA wedge tool post and works just fine. However, I can't help but wonder if I would have been happier with the AXA (it would have fit as well) because of less interference issues as well as tool costs.
In the end I've decided that the added rigidity of the BXA offsets any benefits of the smaller tool post, at least for me.

If only the AXA fits, then thats what you're stuck with. But if you have room for a BXA then get that. You can't put bigger tooling in a smaller post

Cheers Phil

I would also consider the added rigidness of the BXA vs AXA. I have a 14"x40" and run CXA with no issues and love the rigidness the heaver tooling provides.
Post any links of the tooling your considering.

I have a Phase II AXA on my 12" Atlas and it works great. It is much more rigid than the old lantern post. I'm very pleased with it.

Steve%20Atlas_zps9p21pgtw.jpg

Back