Rare find

Check that cabinet in the back, it might contain missing parts and accessories which would increase it's value. It's hard to put a value on it, every area of the country is different and it's impossible to evaluate the condition from just a picture. A complete set of gears in good condition alone would add at least another $75-$100 to the value. Other tooling and accessories would also add value.

Also, you really should look through the rest of wherever the lathe was found for the missing items that I mentioned plus anything else that I didn't mention but that might be there.

Another thought is to find a vocational school and donate it as a tax deductible gift. They could use it in a machine tool repair course.

I like that way more than sending to landfill. Thank you. Preferable to sell even for $50-100 and have someone pick up from here. Transportation will be very rough

If you need help telling what is lathe bits, just post... we love photos of cast iron and anything machined ;-)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Three things -

1. It is a Craftsman 101.21400. M6-20B is the Countershaft Bracket. The 101.21400 is the same except for Model Number and badges as the Atlas 618. The 101.21400 was in production from 1957 until 1972.

2. Actual selling of equipment and parts is not allowed in any of the discussion Fora (see the Site Rules). It is restricted to the For Sale area which will be found at the bottom of the list of Fora. For Sale - Complete Machines would probably be the appropriate one to list the lathe in.

3. Although any site member can read/browse/buy in the For Sale area, actually listing something for sale requires that the Lister be at least a Gold ($25/year) donor. The reason being that the site costs real money each month just to stay open. And none of the staff (that I know of) happens to be a millionaire philanthropist. This is all explained in the Site Rules.

The other site that you could also look into would be your local Craig's List.
Three things -

1. It is a Craftsman 101.21400. M6-20B is the Countershaft Bracket. The 101.21400 is the same except for Model Number and badges as the Atlas 618. The 101.21400 was in production from 1957 until 1972.

2. Actual selling of equipment and parts is not allowed in any of the discussion Fora (see the Site Rules). It is restricted to the For Sale area which will be found at the bottom of the list of Fora. For Sale - Complete Machines would probably be the appropriate one to list the lathe in.

3. Although any site member can read/browse/buy in the For Sale area, actually listing something for sale requires that the Lister be at least a Gold ($25/year) donor. The reason being that the site costs real money each month just to stay open. And none of the staff (that I know of) happens to be a millionaire philanthropist. This is all explained in the Site Rules.

The other site that you could also look into would be your local Craig's L
Three things -

The other site that you could also look into would be your local Craig's Li

Hello. I too, have a Craftsman 101.21400 with M6-20B Countershaft Bracket . . . and need help determining it's value in current condition. I have quite a few components / attachments. I "inherited" this about 10 years ago and have no knowledge about a piece of equipment like this. It has been sitting in my basement and has clearly formed some rust - I can't honestly remember how much of the rust was there when I acquired it. I know that it was kept in an outdoor work shed for use on a railroad on the property similar to the type that gives rides to young children/adults at tourist attraction centers. I have more extra parts but could not post them all here.

Attachments

• _Metal Lathe IMG_1959_lr.jpg
    _Metal Lathe IMG_1959_lr.jpg
    898.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1960_lr.jpg
    IMG_1960_lr.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1963_lr.jpg
    IMG_1963_lr.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1966_lr.jpg
    IMG_1966_lr.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1968_lr.jpg
    IMG_1968_lr.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1972_lr.jpg
    IMG_1972_lr.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1976_lr.jpg
    IMG_1976_lr.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2377_lr.jpg
    IMG_2377_lr.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2376_lr.jpg
    IMG_2376_lr.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1978_lr.jpg
    IMG_1978_lr.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2378_lr.jpg
    IMG_2378_lr.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2380_lr.jpg
    IMG_2380_lr.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2381_lr.jpg
    IMG_2381_lr.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2384_lr.jpg
    IMG_2384_lr.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2383_lr.jpg
    IMG_2383_lr.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2382_lr.jpg
    IMG_2382_lr.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2387_lr.jpg
    IMG_2387_lr.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2389_lr.jpg
    IMG_2389_lr.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2390_lr.jpg
    IMG_2390_lr.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2403_lr.jpg
    IMG_2403_lr.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 23
I have a Craftsman 101.21400 M6 20B Lathe. Looking to sell and understand that this may not be the place per wa5cab's post above - but am looking for a guess as to value as I inherited this from my son's father and know nothing about metal lathes. There are alot of "accessories". It is a bit rusty and hasn't been used in 16 years. The accessories are all in great shape. I tried posting this weeks ago and now looks like it never went thru. So I am trying this post again. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• _Metal Lathe IMG_1959_lr 1.jpg
    _Metal Lathe IMG_1959_lr 1.jpg
    898.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1963_lr 1.jpg
    IMG_1963_lr 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1968_lr 1.jpg
    IMG_1968_lr 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • lathe images for hobby machinist-01.png
    lathe images for hobby machinist-01.png
    11.8 MB · Views: 14
  • lathe images for hobby machinist-02.png
    lathe images for hobby machinist-02.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 13
  • lathe images for hobby machinist-03.png
    lathe images for hobby machinist-03.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 14
I have a Craftsman 101.21400 M6 20B Lathe. There are alot of "accessories". It is a bit rusty and hasn't been used in 16 years. The accessories are all in great shape. I tried posting this weeks ago and now looks like it never went thru. So I am trying this post again. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
That looks like a nice little lathe. The accessories would up the value substantially.
There was a lathe-only for sale recently not far from me. He wanted $150 for just the lathe.
It was no where near the condition yours is in.
No accessories no motor or tooling. Just the lathe. It sold fairly quickly.
$400 to $500 would be fair IMHO but i lean more towards SBL.
The Atlas Craftsman folks should have a better idea.
You may have to start a new post in order to get noticed.
Also, welcome to THM forums.
ken

That looks like a nice little lathe. The accessories would up the value substantially.
There was a lathe-only for sale recently not far from me. He wanted $150 for just the lathe.
It was no where near the condition yours is in.
No accessories no motor or tooling. Just the lathe. It sold fairly quickly.
$400 to $500 would be fair IMHO but i lean more towards SBL.
The Atlas Craftsman folks should have a better idea.
You may have to start a new post in order to get noticed.
Also, welcome to THM forums.
ken
Thanks Ken . . . I can't figure out how to create a new post. Do I have to join a group first? I would rather put this out to all not knowing who may have information. And thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.

Near the top right of the screen when you are in whatever Forum you want to start a thread in, below the word "Search" you should see a rectangle with "Post Thread" in it. Click on that and that should open a window that looks like what shows up at the bottom of any existing thread. The only significant difference is that you will have to enter something for the subject.

The only exceptions are the few Fora that are restricted to Donors down in the For Sale area and I guess the Groups area where you have to first join the Group.

Back