Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

Does anyone know if HF tap and dies are HHS? Which ones are the good ones and what alloys are they using?

I have the 41452 set of metric taps and dies. They are claimed to be "alloy steel" Ti coated. The dies that I have used have proved to be adequate to cut threads on mild steel. I bought the set for the larger metric thread sizes that are included; I was in a situation were I needed the dies pronto and did not have time to order one from the supply house. It was on sale and so I got a whole set for less than ordering the 22mm die and paying for expedited shipping. I have been pleased so far with the set. I think it may be equivalent to the Asian manufactured high speed steel line sold by MSC, ENCO. Travers, Victor, etc. I always liked the made in Poland and Yugoslavia taps and dies that the supply houses sold. So far I have not been able to tell the difference between the HF set and the Chinese stuff.
I don't think I would trust the carbon steel set or the low end (by HF standards) sets.
Geoff Morgan

I have both the SAE and the Metric cheapie 40 piece tap and die set. I like them. For under $20 each, they won't last as long as quality tools but the ability to have that range of sizes for the few times I use the odd sized ones they are a great bargain. Just like my drill bit set, I get the whole set of cheap ones and replace the ones I actually use one at a time with quality individual sizes.

The handles are pretty worthless. I just upgraded one to a Starrett and couldn't be happier with it.

Those black impact socket sets, metric , SAE...steel is soft, easily turned down, cut, milled.

Have made many adapters, spacers, hydr press, out of the stuff. Think its !9.95 a set. Bought 4 or
so sets, several years ago.

Charl

Thanks guys, I have a Craftsman set but I think it's carbon steel and I'm going to pick up the alloy steel sets while they're on sale. The Craftsman set is Chinese and makes lumpy threads that feel too loose and cost wayyyy more.

I have the 35407 60 piece metric/sae set. Quite happy with it, not sure what metal it is, but seems to hold up pretty well (i did break a 6/32 tap, but I think that was from me not drilling the hole to the right size.:thinking:

I agree with the reviewers that the t-handle tap wrench is not the best in the world.. the 6/32 tap doesn't lock in at all. I usually tighten down the nut with a pair of pliers, and then it can spin anyways.. although that has probably saved me from breaking it again..

hth,
Roger

View attachment 56272

Afraid I'll have to offer a dissenting opinion on these... I have broken three of the taps in my set. I've tried to tap several holes where this set just gives up before getting three threads in, and I've found if I switch to an Irwin tap (from Ace Hardware) it will just sail through the rest like it was butter. I relegated my set to thread chasing only, they do seem to be ok for that. One nice 'feature' of this set is the HF "lifetime" warrantee; after I broke the first one I took the set back and they just replaced the whole set without batting an eye. I figure once I dull a fair percentage of the rest of it I'll just take it back and get a fresh set...

Afraid I'll have to offer a dissenting opinion on these... I have broken three of the taps in my set. I've tried to tap several holes where this set just gives up before getting three threads in, and I've found if I switch to an Irwin tap (from Ace Hardware) it will just sail through the rest like it was butter. I relegated my set to thread chasing only, they do seem to be ok for that. One nice 'feature' of this set is the HF "lifetime" warrantee; after I broke the first one I took the set back and they just replaced the whole set without batting an eye. I figure once I dull a fair percentage of the rest of it I'll just take it back and get a fresh set...

That's amazing, most places treat tap and dies as wear items. They actually warranty them. I doubt Sears will take back my broken taps. I got too forceful on a blind hole using 8 or 6 x 32. Doesn't take much to snap them little taps.

That's amazing, most places treat tap and dies as wear items. They actually warranty them. I doubt Sears will take back my broken taps. I got too forceful on a blind hole using 8 or 6 x 32. Doesn't take much to snap them little taps.

Maybe it's just that the folks at my HF are clueless? The website says this though:
Manufacturer Warranty DetailLifetime Warranty. We guarantee this Tool to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product. Limitations apply.

Now they could easily argue that a tap breaking isn't a "defect", but these really just snap so quickly... if fact I broke my own rule and tried using the 1/4-20 tap on some tool steel this evening and *dink* snapped right off about one thread into it. Luckily it was so early in the process that removing the broken tip wasn't a problem. I'm sure my "form" could use some improvement, but I haven't broke one of the US made taps I've bought as replacements for the ones I've broken from this set. I've worn out several of the US ones, but haven't broken one of them yet.

Interesting, looking up the warranty on the HF sight, I noticed their description for this set:

"Repair any mangled nut, bolt or spark plug with ease using this tap and die set"

I think I'd have to say that's a fair description of what it's capable of - chasing existing threads...

BTW - not trying to trash HF. I have a lot of stuff from them, you just need to not expect super high quality - you get what you pay for, but sometimes (actually I think a lot of the time) that's good enough.

Not yet Burnrider. I figure for the price it's good to have a complete set. I have the 29 pc Irwin Cobalt which are M42 which I use all the time for drilling into stainless and other metals. I'll give it a try soon. It's been super cold (Been about 10F or -15C) and garage isn't heated... I was convinced when I read all the reviews on their site. Not sure the cobalt content but it should be at least 5% (M35) to qualify.... actually i found it it states M35 5% Co

View attachment 46029

Cobalt drill bit set - PASS Ok I've had the Cobalt drills from Harbor Freight and they are awesome. I have the jobber set with all the numbers, letters and fractionals in a gray metal case. I wish the decimals were printed on the case but they do an outstanding job of drilling whatever I put to them. I paid about $75 for the set when they went on sales plus a 25% off coupon. great deal...

FAIL - Emery paper... I bought a huge set... they fall apart too easily. Had the wrong grit in the package and they don't tear straight

Mediocre - Alloy tap and dies. no better than the Chinese sets selling for $80 - $100 from Sears. No worse... HF set was $29 on sale. I do like that the dies are round but wish they were adjustable.

I bought the SDS rotry hammer drill. With a store sale(cheaper than the online price) and a 20% off coupon I was out the door for less than $70! It excelled where a "name brand" hammer drill would not drill. I could have rented a drill like it, for half the cost, but only for one days use! I would give this drill a 10 in a 1 to 10 scale!

Back