Ready to purchase a lathe

No brainer - get as much machine as u can without having to hunt your own food.

This is a 20 year decision , think about the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well mark, I guess I have you to blame, I just pulled the trigger on the pm1440gs w dro. It will be replacing a enco 1340. Really wanted to get more info from current owners before my purchase but the specs read well, it's a lot of lathe fore, some really nice upgrades

Best to you, and your new lathe as well as your new adventure!

Rich

I came home today planning on ordering a lathe. Have a quick look at the Ipad and I see KD's quote. Makes me think a bit and decide to call a company I almost bought a Taiwanese 1440 out of California but couldn't make a deal. He said call in a few weeks you may get a different answer. So I called. He tells me they have a return in for a steal. Apparently they couldn't pay the Bill so they returned it and I guess they made money on the stocking fees and want it gone.
Someone was supposed to be there Friday and again today and never showed. He said to me "Money Talks" but he had to notify him. So if he doesn't answer the email or show up by the time I get home tomorrow. I going to go hungry for a couple weeks even thought it stretches my budget beyond anything I thought. I'd be a Baboon not to get it. This machine is more lathe than the original 1440. Sounds crazy but I don't want to jinx it so I going to keep it hush and not say what it is. Either way going to order a lathe tomorrow. Hope this time it's for real.
No sleep tonight!
RI I still think about the Gs. A great looking lathe

The saga continues. Again come home and ready to order. This time figure out the rate. Holy Cow! Jeez more than I thought, Oh well I am ready to take my lumps I guess. Lifetime and no need to think about another manual lathe again. Taiwan built machine.one pc. cast. 2300lbs. a fair bit of threading capabilities which I am sure some of the pitches would match a few worm leads or at least be in a tolerant range to match some DP and Module threads.
They don't want to sell it yet. Even though he hasn't showed up. They have spoke on the phone. At least the dealer is a stand up guy! Twice he hasn't showed up and they weren't happy after having to rearrange there shop to display. Then I say ok call PM 1340gt here I come and decide I'd like to talk to Matt about the Cast Iron stand and a couple other things for down the rd. Well he was tied up so no luck there.
Decide to call the first place back and ask him if by chance it doesn't work out give me a call and he said he will give him until Friday now. Man I think FRIDAY! HOLY COW. more great sleep.
So I sat down and looked at some pm 1440 GS pictures.
Life can sure throw you some curve balls!

Good day, Well the lathe which was an Eisen 1440 ge with a 9 inch bed 2300lbs with a one peace cast stand. Another Liang Dei Machine from Taiwan. 1400 rpm had a noise in the gear train. It was a returned item and this is still my dream 1440 lathe and am sure it is an awesome machine. who knows what happened to it a customer had it and returned it. Maybe not the lathes fault. Gears can easily be damaged. I am sure they are great. It was a little more than the gt with a dro. I should have known. I don't have luck like that. Thinking it was a deal of a lifetime even with the dollar. Car Bike or anything.
So now what? It's a harder decision than I thought. Our Cdn. dollar is brutal 36 cents off the dollar and add tax. Makes me think a lot about the 1236. Well set up proven but the Taiwan thing is hard to annoy! All Pm machines are great value. As the price climbs it makes it harder. I guess I should have never said by this day I'll buy a lathe. It's hard to lay down cash I guess.

Last edited:
What was the noise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The sound I heard at first thought it was a noise in the shop from another machine. It was inconsistent which makes me nervous. Sounds like a bag of marbles for a few seconds and then goes away and comes back. Every single other rpm is butter smooth.
I'd buy someone lunch if they were willing to go have a look for me and take the cover off? They are in Ontario California. I wish I could look at it but at this distance I can't take a chance.
Kind of sounded like when you were a kid and put a hockey card or baseball card on your bicycle to flap against the spokes.

That's unfortunate. On my PM-1440GT I get a little growl in one gear due to the shift arm detent location not being quite right so the adjacent gears rub a little. If I put pressure on the shift lever the noise goes away. At the next oil change I will pull the cover and see what needs to be done to fix it.

Thanks Jbolt, Would it be your 1400 rpm by chance? Every other rpm is smooth. I believe there the same gearbox.

Back