[Newbie] Recommendations For A Vise Stop....?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know experienced machinists with enough time can make vise stops easy, but I would like to buy one for now.
Does anyone know a good vise stop? The Edge Technology vise stops look nice but never used one or had one a vise. Are there any other brands/make of vise stop that is worth buying? Most are imports. I don't know of any USA or quality import brands of vise stop. I'd like a single side.

I know experienced machinists with enough time can make vise stops easy, but I would like to buy one for now.
Does anyone know a good vise stop? The Edge Technology vise stops look nice but never used one or had one a vise. Are there any other brands/make of vise stop that is worth buying? Most are imports. I don't know of any USA or quality import brands of vise stop. I'd like a single side.

Yup, you can make one easily enough but I bought the one from Edge Technology. I looked at every kind of vise stop I could find and when I sorted out the cost of building one vs what ET charged for a sexy red anodized stop, I figured it was cheaper to buy it. I have the single side pro vise stop.

The thing is massive, very well made, and works as it should. I like that I can swing the arm down out of the way, work on my piece, then swing it back up to do the next piece without losing my reference point. It is all anodized aluminum except for the screws and the hardened work stop rod. The screws that lock down the movable rod and mount have non-marring nylon tips. There are only two positions to suit the size of the work piece but so far, it has been enough for my needs. I only have a Kurt 4" vise so that limits me, too, but I really think this is a good stop for the money.

Thank you. That confirms it for me. For $50 or so, it is well worth buying it.
It's sold out right now on ET's website, but I can wait, since buying direct is less expensive.
TraversToolCo has it for $10 more plus shipping. They're close to me, so if I can pick it up,
it will justify the the extra money. Either way, It seems like a pretty good deal.

So, from what I understand, each ET vise stop must be matched with the corresponding vise size correct? IOW; You can't use a 5" ET vise stop with a 6" Kurt vise, and so on...vise versa. (no pun intended). :)

So, from what I understand, each ET vise stop must be matched with the corresponding vise size correct? IOW; You can't use a 5" ET vise stop with a 6" Kurt vise, and so on...vise versa. (no pun intended). :)

Yup, they sell one for 4, 5, and 6" wide vises and you need to buy the right one. It will fit a Kurt; not sure about other makes of vises.

I've made a few different stops for my vises as homebrew projects & they all work for the most part on 'typical' work. But my choice for 'buy one only' universal stop that functions in any conceivable part/orientation you would ever likely encounter would be this one. Very nicely made. Rapid to install & setup. Its not linked to the vise itself & clamps very securely. The only think I made was a deep reaching slender stop rod with .0250" shank (for the stop body) but 0.125" diameter on the contact end for finicky thin work. The 2 pivoting lock down handles make clamping a breeze, zero tools or wrenches are required. Also you can position the stop rod anywhere on the part itself if that's a requirement. Most of the arm styles are kind of limited range in this way.
http://www.traverscanada.com/five-axis-single-milling-stop/p/99-008-260/

I've seen some ebay/other versions of these. they looks similar but the pivots are a bit different so I'm not sure they have quite the motion range. Or maybe its a variation to circumvent patents or something. Check around if this price is a bit rich but they come on sale at Travers every so often.

2017-01-08_16-42-28.jpg

I've got 2 from Edge Technology & absolutely love them. I have their Vise Jaw Stop & Pro Mill Stop. I personally preferred not going with the rear vise mounted one. The table mounted stop gives me more versatility. Seen in post #56 in my mill thread. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-pm45m-pdf.9885/page-2#post-101589

I have one of those Bridge City Tools protractors and they're very nice. It rarely gets used but its accurate enough for general set ups. I use it mostly on wood projects to angle stuff in the drill press vise. Bridge City makes some really nice tools.

I looked at that table-mounted stop, too, but I didn't want to uncover my T-slots to use it. It is beefy, has a larger range and its that really nice red that ET uses, too. If I need to work on larger pieces I'll keep this one in mind, Will - thanks!

I have one of those Bridge City Tools protractors and they're very nice. It rarely gets used but its accurate enough for general set ups. I use it mostly on wood projects to angle stuff in the drill press vise. Bridge City makes some really nice tools.

I looked at that table-mounted stop, too, but I didn't want to uncover my T-slots to use it. It is beefy, has a larger range and its that really nice red that ET uses, too. If I need to work on larger pieces I'll keep this one in mind, Will - thanks!

I know nothing about woodworking but as you said Bridge City does make some very nice tools!

I choose table mounted cause it doesn't limit use to just one vise or workpiece size.

I made sections for my T-slot covers so I just remove a section when needed. Didn't really know how I felt about these covers when I was first introduced to them but I really like them now.

Img_0032.jpg

Great information and links. Thanks guys.
This is why I like this place. Bridge city makes really nice tools. More tools to add to the growing list. That discontinued protractor looks nice. Just bought a Starrett bevel protractor for layout work and setting angles. How would you use a work stop if the work is angled?
Can you put 45 degree angles on custom made rods?

That Bridge City protractor has engraved markings in 1 degree increments and was settable with a vernier to 5 minute increments, which is the same as the Starrett bevel protractor - pretty good for a woodworking tool.

I have one of those Starrett bevel protractors, too, but I'm old enough now that seeing the markings was a chore. I bought one of those magnetic magnifiers to stick onto vernier tools and that made a big difference. You young'uns don't know it yet but them long-arm days are coming!

The work stop is just a simple solid stop. You can touch the work to the tip of the rod and lock it down. The angle of the work doesn't really matter. Well, at least I never had an issue with it.

Back