Recriprocating Saw

mf294-4

Active User
Registered
Went and found a Marvel recriprocating saw that is going to be at a sale Saturday. Looks like it had a 2 ft blade. Must weigh 200 lbs. and looks old. Any comments good or bad about it. Sorry not much more info. I didn't know it was there or I would have taken a picture. It didn't look wore out but couldn't tell about the gear box. Are they worth having? Are blades readily available? It wouldn't take much to be better than my buffalo band saw.

A bandsaw cuts a lot faster,since the blade doesn't waste part of the time going backwards. I suppose blades are still available for the hacksaw?

Lots of guys run power hacksaws and really like them. I suggest a search. I would love one. Slow yes but I could prep or clean till it finished.

I own a power hacksaw and use it very often because it can easily cut through solid 10" steel bars without babysitting the machine. Turn it on and walk away.
And Yes, blades are available from companies like Starrett and many others.

Lots of nice photos and some documentation regarding Marvel power hacksaws available over at Vintage Machinery.
Here is a link to the photos section: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2519&tab=4

Also, using the "wayback machine" internet archive, I found this:
[fair use, public domain, blah-blah-blah...]
Founded in 1904, Armstrong-Blum Mfg. Co. has been designing and manufacturing the highest quality metal cutting saws and blades available. The reputation we have built for innovation, dependability and customer support remains the cornerstone of our company.

Our complete line of Marvel Band Saw Machines, Marvel Saw Blades and Spartan Metalworking Equipment is sold and shipped throughout the world.

Our long standing commitment to total customer satisfaction is carried out through our field sales team, technical support staff and worldwide distribution network.

Armstrong-Blum Mfg. Co. remains dedicated to providing our customers with the same high quality machinery, cutting tools and support that have made us the industry leader that we are today.​

Matt

I almost bought a Marvel power hacksaw some years back. It was an older machine originally designed to be driven by a flat belt and had a clutch mechanism on it. It brought more than I thought it was worth for the wear it had, but I ended up with a Keller 5A instead. Very heavy machine, weighs around 400 pounds, but cuts straight as an arrow. Start it to cutting and do something else in the shop while it does its thing. Sometimes I just sit down with a cup of coffee while I wait for it to finish its work. It might not be as fast as a bandsaw, but the blades generally last longer and are not nearly as expensive either.

The only drawback is that it is such a big beast that it will be staying out in the garage when I get my basement shop done and get everything else moved inside. I am contemplating building a small power hacksaw for cutting smaller stock. It would use regular hacksaw blades and would only have a capacity of a couple of inches, but would be small enough to sit on a bench top.

Back