Redlineman's Logan 200 Rescue

It's nice to see your drive box assembly coming along nicely. If for any reason you need some pictures taken to clarify any portion of your assembly let me know and I can take the pictures you need and upload them to this thread.

I checked some of the pictures I have to see if there were two rear mount holes where the belt guard mounts to the frame and found mine only has one. Perhaps an additional hole was drilled when the motor was replaced? My lathe has an Atlas 1/2 HP motor in it so I think it was changed at some time along the way. Here's a picture of my drive box showing the rear belt guard mounting hole:

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

Last edited:
Hey;

Thanks MB. I sort of thought the hole was added. I chose the hole by eye based on how it centered the guard frame with the shaft clearance notches in the top of the drive box. Finding the photo I took had confirmed my hunch after the fact. Not sure what purpose the off-center hole might have had. Somebody using a shorter flat belt? Maybe a production flub?

Thanks, Chuck.

One thing I am wondering. The bolts that attach the drive box to the stand frame are fairly loose in their holes, allowing the two pieces quite a bit of radial swing relative to each other. I'm wondering if proper alignment of these is going to effect belt drive at all, considering that the primary shaft pulley is flat?

I checked for a pulley today. Apparently I not only used the pulley but also the motor on a previous project. My memory leaves something to be desired.

Chuck

Hey, Redlineman.

I noticed that the bottom of your belt guard has been cut out. Mine is solid. I've attached a picture which isn't very good for comparison but you can see the ridge goes completely around the inside of the guard. Just FYI.

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

Hmmmm....

Never picked up on that. I've never any other part but this one in hand. Someone down through the years obviously played some games with the drive system on this thing. One thing I did note on mine is that the rear most hole in that guard frame where the bolt goes to hold it to the drive box, is not drilled in the center of the casting. It is offset, so far down that you can't get a washer under the bolt head. I see your hole is in the same place, so that is original. No big deal, just a curious point.

If you add the fact that my drive box has two holes in it for shifting the position of the guard frame with the piece cut off of same, it seems likely someone had some kind of huge pulley on the motor at some point, for some reason. We'll call it personality.

Last edited:
Redlineman

Your Logan 200 work seems to be proceeding very nicely. You are a little bit ahead of my Logan 920 restoration, I have my primary drive all torn down, in the process of cleaning/stripping/repainting. Here, for what it may be worth, is a shot of my LA-363 Guard Frame, with just two holes. You can see they are asymmetrically placed, both laterally and vertically. And right in the center of the cross arm is a slight square bump. It only shows on the belt side, not on the back. I have no idea what it is from, maybe an artifact of the casting? Or maybe there was a hole there that gotten plugged/patched? When I strip the paint, I'll maybe know better.
And thanks for the recent info on the backgear shaft. I'll be starting on the headstock after I finish the drive. Fortunately my drive unit seems to have nothing missing or worn.

Greg
belt guard frame.jpg

belt guard frame.jpg

Thanks to MB & G;

We see that the holes in the guard frame are not drilled symmetrically. Kind of weird, but... whatever.

G, please fill me in on what a 920 is? Don't worry about thread jack. There are so many different "models" from this company - and little documentation - and I'm really curious as to what the differences are between them. They all have so much in common, and the differences are very subtle at times. For instance, I know that an 820 is essentially a 200 with QCGB. A 400 is a smaller version of a 200. Beyond that - and there are TONS of different models - I don't know the differences. Feel free if you'd like.

Now in the process of cobbling together a motor drive pulley. None for sale used, and the price of a new one from Logan is pretty spendy, on the face of it. I'm not opposed to buying one from them, especially if it turns out to be 6'o one, half dozen o' t'other.

- - - Updated - - -

And another thing...

Can anyone supply a good clear photo of the latch that holds the pulley cover closed? Mine is missing - replaced by a piece of a coat hanger - and I have never seen a good image of what it supposed to look like. I'm pretty sure it is a simple flat steel spring clip as opposed to a fancy latch.

Redlineman

Sorry for my typo about the mysterious model 920. It's a Logan 820! (As I have be writing about in the "Greg's Logan 820 Restoration" thread.

You asked for, "Can anyone supply a good clear photo of the latch that holds the pulley cover closed? Mine is missing - replaced by a piece of a coat hanger - and I have never seen a good image of what it supposed to look like. I'm pretty sure it is a simple flat steel spring clip as opposed to a fancy latch."

So I just went and took a picture. I hadn't realized it before, but mine looks like a non-standard clip too. It has more springiness than a coat hanger, but is only 0.065" diameter. Seeing how there is the wider notch cut in the rim, maybe it is like the clip that is on my change gear guard. However, my Logan Parts Catalog shows that the Change Gear Guard (LA-228) doesn't use a clip, rather it has a LA-514 knob. Not on my lathe!
belt guard clip.jpg

Greg

belt guard clip.jpg

Redlineman,

The latch is listed in the parts list as part no. LA-364. I checked the Logan Lathe Website and that part no. doesn't exist. I also checked the Parts for Logan Lathes Catalog and didn't find it there. It's just a little piece of spring steel bent to retain the door. You can see that mine needs a little bending to completely close the door properly but breaking it is a likely outcome. It shouldn't be very difficult to make one. It looks like my lathe has the original latch and here's a couple pictures of it:

IMG_0830.JPGIMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG IMG_0831.JPG

The latch MBfrontier shows is the original. I guess it's not worth it for Scott Logan to repop those latches and sell them, although it would seem that they would be in big demand. It's kind of rare to find them intact. I've tried fashioning spring clips with limited success. A common magnet latch from a cabinet will hold the door shut. I've thought about trying 3M Dual Lock the next time I have one that needs a latch. I'm sure there are a lot of ways to hold the door shut.

Chuck

Back