Removing Shipping Oil

mike837go

Registered
Registered
The search feature ignores the word 'oil' as too common, so I have to ask this n00b question directly.

This is the first time I have purchased a brand-new machine tool. I've bought plenty at auction. Removing rust, building one-from-two, etc. are well honed skills. Unpacking wooden crates, following printed directions, actually having the manufacturer's manual? New skills that have to be developed...

So, what is the Best Practice for removing the heavy oil (almost grease) that protected my new equipment from the factory to my workbench?

Leave it? Strip clean (acetone or mineral spirits) and re-oil? Just wipe the excess?

I want my new tool to last as long as possible. Help, please...

WD 40 and a lot of clean rags. That's what I used on my new G0704 Mill when I got it home.
Also check everywhere on the machine if there is any bare metal or screw or gear.
They must spray that stuff on by the gallon when they assemble the machine.
I used 2 of the tall cans of WD 40 to get mine clean.
Then just went over everything with some machine oil and used a lite coating of bearing grease on the gears.

Mineral spirits or WD-40 is a pretty good choice of solvents. Clean then re-oil. Normally new machines need a good cleaning before use. The less expensive Chinese machines should normally be considered a pre-assembled kit, and need a complete tear down and cleaning/fitting to be useful.

...snip...Chinese machines should normally be considered a pre-assembled kit, and need a complete tear down and cleaning/fitting to be useful.

That's what I was kinda worried about... It's a Grizzly G0516.

So, tonight is going to be:
  1. Lots of rags
  2. Plenty of mineral sprits (open the doors first)
  3. Clean the tools that came with the machine
  4. Dismantle a section
    1. Clean all parts
    2. Re-oil with non-detergent oil
    3. Reassemble section, paying attention to fit. Adjust as needed.
  5. Repeat step 4 as needed. Wednesday evening too.
Find an unused tool box and label the drawers after putting in the accessories. There's gotta be a hundred thread cutting gears...:confused 3:

When I got my little lathe, I used rubbing alcohol (90% or so isopropyl) and the stuff came off really easily. I then oiled everything after it was clean. A whole lot less smelly than mineral spirits.

Just a safety note on solvent/oil soaked rags. Be sure to store them out doors, away from buildings and flammables, in a sealed metal container, or at least spread them out (like on an old fashioned back yard clothes line) so they can't spontaneously combust. If in a metal container, keep your body back when opening the top, the air inrush could cause them to flash.

Last edited:
That's what I was kinda worried about... It's a Grizzly G0516.

So, tonight is going to be:
  1. Lots of rags
  2. Plenty of mineral sprits (open the doors first)
  3. Clean the tools that came with the machine
  4. Dismantle a section
    1. Clean all parts
    2. Re-oil with non-detergent oil
    3. Reassemble section, paying attention to fit. Adjust as needed.
  5. Repeat step 4 as needed. Wednesday evening too.
Find an unused tool box and label the drawers after putting in the accessories. There's gotta be a hundred thread cutting gears...:confused 3:
I've heard of people using citrus based degreasers before as well. Also take a couple of pictures before disassembling anything.

Just a safety note on solvent/oil soaked rags. Be sure to store them out doors, away from buildings and flammables, in a sealed metal container, or at least spread them out so they can't spontaneously combust. If in a metal container, keep your body back when opening the top, the air inrush could cause them to flash.

Yes, I have a safe storage place for oily and thinner soaked rags.

I've been an amateur mechanic for over 40 years. I added 'satisfactory weldor' a few year ago. And still learning.

Shop/fire safety is #1 priority. I still have all my fingers, toes, eyes, etc.. And I fully intend to keep them! (Ok, fixing the gas fridge while camped out singed the fur on one hand.)

It's getting into fine machining that is the new fun/challenge for me right now.

I use diesel and plenty of rags. A good preservative coating with CRC350 corrosion inhibitor is used on my machines - tools etc.

Last edited:
Just a safety note on solvent/oil soaked rags. Be sure to store them out doors, away from buildings and flammables, in a sealed metal container, or at least spread them out (like on an old fashioned back yard clothes line) so they can't spontaneously combust. If in a metal container, keep your body back when opening the top, the air inrush could cause them to flash.
I agree that oily rags are a fire hazard but they are not a spontaneous combustion hazard unless the oil involved is linseed oil (or possiblly tung oil). Petroleum does not spontaneously combust.

Back