Repairing Cast Iron Handle (a DOH! Moment)

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So while working around my lathe today I caused a heavy object to fall over and break one of the cast quick change shift levers/handles on my lathe (G4003G). It's the left one in the gearbox. It broke apart at about the halfway point of the pin that goes into the QCGB position holes. I couldn't take a pic then but I will tonight and post it. So, I'm wondering what to do. My first inclination is JB Welding the handle back together but I don't know how good that'll last. I've got a MIG welder but I'd rather not have to take the remaining piece of the handle off the lathe to repair it. Worse comes to worse I guess $20 for a new one from Grizzly but I'd still need to take gear box apart somewhat. Well, any help appreciated. Thanks.

If you rough it up and clean it, JB weld may outlast the cast iron. It's pretty strong stuff. You can always drill into both parts and add a dowel/pin to strengthen it. MIG welding cast can be a bit tricky. TIG would likely be better if you want to go the welding route.

If you know a welding shop, a brazed repair can work. It takes some finesse,
because cast iron has to be preheated, and the brazing alloy has to be
chosen for the material, but there's a LOT of old machines with such
repairs evident, so it's a known durable solution.

I was coached through the procedure once, on a woodworking plane,
and got adequate results.

JB weld gets my vote; easy, quick, no distortion from heat. Get you back on line while you wait for a replacement.
MS
ps cure the JB with a light bulb- much stronger cure at about 120 deg. F

I don't want to take apart the gear box if I can help it. So that negates replacing the lever and welding/brazing it. I've talked to a few boat-owning friends and they all recommended Marine Tex. Now, I actually know about MT. I've used it in the past but it was sooo long ago I've totally forgot about it. I used it to repair something on an engine...think it was the block. Needed to thread it afterwards and it worked like a charm. Held up for years until I sold the bike (repair was disclosed to buyer). So that's'a'what'ahma'gonna'do'ah. :) I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions guys. If the Marine Tex don't hold (and I think it will) I'll just buy a replacement from Grizzly since I think it'll cost me more taking the part to brazer to repair it.

So while working around my lathe today I caused a heavy object to fall over and break one of the cast quick change shift levers/handles on my lathe (G4003G). It's the left one in the gearbox. It broke apart at about the halfway point of the pin that goes into the QCGB position holes. I couldn't take a pic then but I will tonight and post it. So, I'm wondering what to do. My first inclination is JB Welding the handle back together but I don't know how good that'll last. I've got a MIG welder but I'd rather not have to take the remaining piece of the handle off the lathe to repair it. Worse comes to worse I guess $20 for a new one from Grizzly but I'd still need to take gear box apart somewhat. Well, any help appreciated. Thanks.
If you can buy a new one from Grizzly
for $20. Or even $50. You would be better off

From what their technical data shows Marine Tex grey is stronger than Devcon Plastic Steel.

Yes, Scwhite, I may just wind up buying a replacement handle from Grizzly. I gotta look at the gear box tomorrow. If it doesn't look too bad I may just go that route.

From what their technical data shows Marine Tex grey is stronger than Devcon Plastic Steel.

Yes, Scwhite, I may just wind up buying a replacement handle from Grizzly. I gotta look at the gear box tomorrow. If it doesn't look too bad I may just go that route.
Most of the times you are better off to buy it
If you can . I can make just about anything .
But if I can find it I will buy it . It is always cheaper
To buy one if you can.
I have a broke handle on a Clausing 8540 mill
I am going to have to make a add on to it .
It was broke when I bought the milling machine
I did find part of it from Clausing and I did buy that
Part and it was $80. I think or I am not sure
But it was not cheap .

Last edited:
Back