repairing my $9 lathe and milling machine, victims of hurricane sandy

eweissman

Registered
Registered
so, i just acquired a mill and a lathe off of ebay for $9 from a fellow whose house was flooded in Long Island during Sandy.
mill is an rf-45 clone, a zay7045fg/2 is the exact model number...?
according to the seller, it was purchased directly from the factory, and is unbranded.
surprisingly large, i bet it weighs more than my rockwell 21-100 knee mill.
i am assuming most of the electricals on both are no good...
lathe is a cz1224g. 12 x 24, gap bed, geared head.
seems decent enough from what i have seen so far.

might just sell the mill along / fix it up a bit as i dont really need it.
the lathe i was hoping to use. it will need a new motor. the rest of it actually doesnt
look too bad. it was on a 3 foot base, so i dont think the lathe got flooded with sea water at all,
but it was left in the rain a while after the hurricane.

wondering if anyone can help find a replacement motor.
heres the motor details.
the present motor is 220, would prefer 110 if possible.

bolt spacing: approx 4.8 in x 5.4 in

shaft dimensions: .949 in shaft x 2 inches long (seems like weird shaft size, close to 24 mm?)
model number: yl-9024 motor
1100 w 220v 7 amps
1700 rpm
double capacitor single phase (run and start capacitor)

and some photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100633...authkey=Gv1sRgCJDMyPq69LjP5wE&feat=directlink

thanks all
-eian

$9 as in less then the cost of a steak dinner for bothe lathe & mill???

Damn, that has to be by far the best deal I have ever heard of. Awesome score! They don't even look bad.

Nice score! You do suck, you know.

What's the HP rating of that motor? I don't know that I've seen more than 1 HP on 110V.

google the frame dimensions of an IEC 90L frame and see if that's what you have.

If it were me I would get the motor apart clean every thing and put in some new bearings bet it would work fine.

Paul

In my area there was and is prone to power black outs. Usually when the basement is flooding, so the sump stops pumping. Many have not submersible pumps that end up being underwater for some periods of time, my Dad included. Most time, surprisingly they start up and continue working when the power is restored. Dangerous yes but if you stay out of the water you are ok.

Unless salt water got to the electrics, a cleaning may be all that is needed, as Old Iron stated.

BTW the power company headquarters is here as well. You would think that this would make things better. Guess not:thinking::nuts:
Pierre

Last edited:
I was gonna say, let it dry out, pull it apart and clean it thoroughly and re-assemble. Bet it runs just fine. If it runs, let it run for a good long while to dry any moisture still in the windings and call it good. Unless it was hooked to power and under water at the same time it is unlikely that the electronics were even damaged. Before I spent any of my hard earned cash I would give everything else a try first. Then you can always upgrade to a VFD and repower them with that sewing machine motor Jumps4 found on Ebay. Worth a look anyway. And there are less expensive options if the electrics are fried. It looks like a win-win situation...

Bob

so, i just acquired a mill and a lathe off of ebay for $9 from a fellow whose house was flooded in Long Island during Sandy.
mill is an rf-45 clone, a zay7045fg/2 is the exact model number...?
according to the seller, it was purchased directly from the factory, and is unbranded.
surprisingly large, i bet it weighs more than my rockwell 21-100 knee mill.
i am assuming most of the electricals on both are no good...
lathe is a cz1224g. 12 x 24, gap bed, geared head.
seems decent enough from what i have seen so far.

might just sell the mill along / fix it up a bit as i dont really need it.
the lathe i was hoping to use. it will need a new motor. the rest of it actually doesnt
look too bad. it was on a 3 foot base, so i dont think the lathe got flooded with sea water at all,
but it was left in the rain a while after the hurricane.

wondering if anyone can help find a replacement motor.
heres the motor details.
the present motor is 220, would prefer 110 if possible.

bolt spacing: approx 4.8 in x 5.4 in

shaft dimensions: .949 in shaft x 2 inches long (seems like weird shaft size, close to 24 mm?)
model number: yl-9024 motor
1100 w 220v 7 amps
1700 rpm
double capacitor single phase (run and start capacitor)

and some photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100633...authkey=Gv1sRgCJDMyPq69LjP5wE&feat=directlink

thanks all
-eian

Nice score! I bet that motor would work again if you take it apart, give it a good cleaning with water, a bake of the windings in the oven at <180 degrees, then replace the bearings... The impregnation on the windings will have protected them from the salt. The only thing that needs some attention is the centrifugal switch and possibly the capacitors (but I doubt it).

One more thing... If the motor was submerged, then so was the drum switch (on the front near the bottom right of the headstock). It's under a small cover.

John

I am on the same page as jgedde. You should be able to rinse it out with freshwater and if the water isnt too hard(you know letting minerals deposit), let it dry, change the bearings and be good to go. Working on factory trawlers in Alaska we had motors submerged in saltwater all the time that we rinsed out, used electric motor cleaner like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NTS890

set em by the main engine to dry, replace the bearings and they were good to go. If you have a friend that has a meg ohmmeter
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/me...est-instruments/megger/ecatalog/N-b9pZ1z13hdo

you can have them test the resistance to ground just to be sure.

Dont forget to check the other electrical equipment that got wet like John said.

I saw your ad on craigslist for the mill and was going to post a link in the for sale section here. If I hadn't bought a mill two weeks ago I would probably be in your driveway right now.

Back