repairing my $9 lathe and milling machine, victims of hurricane sandy

thanks for all the advice folks. thats why i love this forum.
good suggestions. one problem is, i had to take the whole lathe apart into pieces to get it into my house, and down the basement stairs.
while taking the electric panel off, i had to disconnect a few things. the electric panel on this lathe is crazy. after having only ever dealt with
the wiring on the drum switch on a 1942 south bend 9in, i was pretty shocked at the complexity of this thing. there are a million relays, switches
all over the thing. i dont think i'll ever be able to get it back together again, even after taking pictures of the process of taking it apart.

was thinking it might be worth just swapping over the motor from the south bend. its only a half-horse but an oldie and a goodie..
its 110, 7 amps. i think its a dayton. its actually larger than the 220 2hp chinese motor that came with the lathe.
the down side is i lose the motor reversing lever on the front of the lathe, but i can just use the drum switch for that.
and besides, those reversing levers seem kinda sketchy on a lathe with a threaded chuck... not sure if that would be
strong enough of a motor, but it is an old american actual 1/2 horse vs a chinese 2hp peak rated motor....?

i could try cleaning it, tried to take it apart tonight but was having a hell of a time getting the covers to separate from either end.
took the screws out, but the covers didnt seem to want to slide off.

also dont want to electrocute myself if the capacitors are still holding some juice... not sure if you have to discharge them first?
maybe that already happened when the thing got filled with water?

Don't worry about the caps. They have long since leaked down to zero... An elelctrolytic cap in a motor is not like a TV flyback capacitor. They leak down fairly rapidly.

John

just to let folks know, i did decide to go with a drum switch and another old, 110 v motor i had around. its 1hp, and i think it'll be sufficient.
i just posted some questions about the drum switch in the electrical section.
here is a snippet here:

here is my sketch of the wire panel on the motor i am wiring up for my 12x chinese lathe
and the drum switch wire configuration.

i have the "L shaped" type drum switch. its a dayton.
the motor has six wires labeled t1, t3, t5 and t8 t2 t4.
i show what terminals i will connect them to on the drum switch in the first drawing.
this is to be set up for 110 v. the second drawing is a clearer drawing of the wiring configuration
of the motor for 110 v.

pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100633410173082846352/20130601?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Back