• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

[Metrology] Resurfacing And Recalibrating Several Surface Plates

Holescreek

Active User
When I was working in a very large machine shop in Dayton a group of guys from a place in Michigan called "Doc's" drove down in an old box truck style ambulance to recertify/repair all our granite plates. I watched these very strong fellows pick up, flip and spin plates all day long (big granite plates) knocking the high spots down with diamond dust. It seldom took them more that a couple days to do the 60 or so in our plant.

A618fan2

Very cool video - I hate to think what mine would measure out to but then I ain't all that accurate either! Thanks for posting.

John

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
That's going to vary widely. How far do the calibration people have to travel? Is that the only plate you need done? How bad is it? Is it a pink plate or softer, black granite? What grade do you need it certed to? You'll have to call around for an estimate in your area.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Premium Content
H-M Supporter-Premium
That's going to vary widely. How far do the calibration people have to travel? Is that the only plate you need done? How bad is it? Is it a pink plate or softer, black granite? What grade do you need it certed to? You'll have to call around for an estimate in your area.
That is why we got four of us together and had those same guys who did Tom Lipton's plates come and do all of ours at my shop. We got all our plates calibrated, we each saved a lot of money that way, and got a fun social event as part of the deal. What's not to like? :)
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/surface-plate-calibration-collaboration-or-plate-fest.45514/

astjp2

Active User
It's a white/gray plate, in Ogden Ut, name brand 50 year old plate that is 49 millionths high to low.