Roller steady rest for 1030V?

PrettyHateMachining

Eraser
Registered
Hi guys,

Anyone seen or adapted a roller bearing steady rest for the 1022/1030V? Or even have any ideas I have a feeling I'm going to be using this steady rest a LOT so I figured I'd get something a little better suited for constant use.

Thanks!

Should be easy enough to make roller fingers for one, where are you located ?.

I'm in the Boston area. I suppose I could just drill and tap the solid fingers for little roller bearings. Is that what you mean?

lathe-steady-rest-clamping-plate-4.jpg

This is one way of doing it

Another variation of the same. I turned new fingers and used sealed ball bearings (MRC R4ZZ H501 1/4" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/16" W). The bearings can take pretty high loads for their size. I also added a replaceable bronze bushing wear surface over the bearing outer race. The size of the bearing will depend on the finger.

Steady Rest and Follow Rest Finger bearings.jpg

Well, I seem to be contrary to rollers for my steady rest so far. I have only used the brass ones that came with the steady, and they do nice work, no issues. Why change? I am concerned that swarf will get pounded into the work by the rollers. Having both like Mark has is a good idea, maybe the rollers would be an asset with smaller work spinning at higher speeds. Another idea I learned from Abom79 is to make a fairly large cardboard shield to fit snug around the work and against the steady to help keep chips out of there.

I would tend to think if the bearings are centered they would carry the load better. And with the speeds run to use carbide there almost a have to be bearings . The bronze are ok for sometime usage but not heavy use. Good luck with either way

I am a total newbie but that was pretty much my justification. I'm running carbide and hours of work at ~1000RPM and I felt that the solid bronze fingers weren't going to be up to the task. They are already showing some wear and I got the lathe less than 2 weeks ago.

I am a total newbie but that was pretty much my justification. I'm running carbide and hours of work at ~1000RPM and I felt that the solid bronze fingers weren't going to be up to the task.
You are probably correct. 200-300 rpm, moderate diameter, and plenty of way oil applied regularly, careful adjustment, and all is good with just the plain brass bearings. Cannot measure the wear on the work afterwards. High speed, use the ball bearings. Keep the chips out from under the bearings or they will damage the work and the bearings.

Back