Rookie With Combo

Shredxcam

Registered
Registered
I have been going thru my grandfathers old shop and came across his old hq400 multipurpose machine . It works and the runout on the drilling/mill quill is <.001 inch and the lathe chuck is just under .001 inch. The motor seems to have been replaced and the factory switch bypassed some sort to just an on off switch.

Question #1. Was the original switch variable speed with reverse or just on off? It's wired to 115vac standard wall plug

The axis all work as they should but need adjusted. The are out a few thou each. The one that worrys me most is the Z axis

Question #2. Is there any adjusting the z axis?

The taper is mt3 for the mill/drill quill and lathe dead end. I have some dead centers that fit the lathe end

Question #3. Is the lathe end guppies to have a drawbar of sorts like the mill/drill?

I Havnt trammeled it yet to see how the z axis is set for square. I don't have or Havnt found a regular vice for milling. There is a cross slide vice that really needs some work. It has lots of play and rough to turn. I also found a good stash of lathe cutters. He was a machinist so they are all hss that he made from stock. I have not found and end mills or end mill holders. I have a drill chuck for it that I believe came with it.

I found a manual on line but it's meh. I was wondering if anybody had more information with better pictures of the machine. My goal would be to have it up and running. Mabye add some DRO s and use it to make some car parts and misc projects. I found an army manual form lathe and mill use and it's a pretty good read. And little machine shop has lots of information

Picture time

Well it won't let me add pictures. I'm guessing I need 3 more posts to be able too

Post away. Theres a lot to discuss and I'm sure you have more to add! Join in!

Chuck the grumpy one

Hi Shredxcam,

Welcome to the site!

only one thou run-out? Wow! It sounds like that machine has been very well taken care of.
Did your grandfather get it new?
Any idea the year of manufacture?

I do not know this machine, but be sure to keep your eyes open for a few other useful parts as you dig thru the stuff. In particular:

-a lathe faceplate
-3 or 4-jaw chucks
-measuring tools, vernier/dial or digital calipers, micrometers, dial indicator, dial test indicators

mt3 end mill holders should be easy to find second hand if you need to, be sure to get ones with female thread on back end for the draw bar.

...still would like some pictures......post here a few more times with any additional info

-brino

I'll try pics again in a second. I have a 3 jaw chuck with extra set of teeth.

The machine has a date of 88. I'm not sure but I would guess knowing him it was used.

I have a couple dial indicator sets and tons of precision measurement tools. All old fashion aka not digital. I have some digital calipers and stuff back in Vegas

Here's the crappy thing. I am active duty usaf stationed in Vegas and only back in Illinois for another 15or so days. I don't plan on taking the mill back with me as I'll be moving back in a little of a year. I'm just going to keep my eyes open for stuff I need around at flea markets and Craigslist

Well it wont let me post img links from photo bucket so no go on picture

I'm not sure but I would guess knowing him it was used.

All of my machines are used......
Nothing wrong with frugal! ;)

I'm just going to keep my eyes open for stuff I need around at flea markets and Craigslist

It's a good idea to start figuring out what you need and hunting in advance.

Best of luck!
-brino

Oh no I am 100% for re using and junk yards for stuff instead of buying new My grandpa was the epitome of that

I am insanely cheap as well. My buddies at work break a drill bit and thro them out. I break one and just put a new tip on it

I think I want to start with a basic vice / tilting if the price is right and a few end mills for milling

Lathe I want a bigger chuck and some pre cut tools to use as an example to learn to make my own.

If you are going to leave it for a year, Be sure to have it where it cannot get damp, or wet, Also put a good coat of stuff all over it to protect it, well on everything to protect them so they do not get rust on them. The better you can protect them the better they will be when you get back. Keep an eye on EBay as well for some items, If you have someone there in Illinois that can accept and store things for you can buy them and have them sent there, That way you do not have to worry about shipping them there when you leave Vegas. I know the AF does not give extra weight allowance and the cost is out of this world. Also, you may be able to find someone in Vegas to work with and mentor you while still there. Also keep an eye on the forums, Even though you do not have access to the lathe for a year, you can learn a lot, and come up with some projects for when you get back. Again Best of luck to you.

Yea it is safely stored in a garage. I have oiled and cleaned it. I need to become friends with one of the machinist at work. We have a full machine shop with a full cnc jet I believe mill

They don't ever have to do anything except make award plaques and measure stuff since our bosses don't like us doing it

I'm h-60 avionics by trade and do all sorts of stuff from electrical work to building up drive systems and rotor heads.

Back