rung fu clone RF-45 ZX45 cnc conversion

Discussion in 'CNC IN THE HOME SHOP -- DISCUSS USING CNC IN YOUR HOME SHOP HERE!' started by jumps4, Aug 22, 2012.

1. jumps4

jumps4 Global Moderator Staff Member

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida
    This may be a little early to start this because i'm waiting for all the parts but here is what i have so far
    I thought this was going to be pretty easy but what I'm finding out is there are really a lot of different versions of this mill with all different z axis column lift configurations so I'm not going to have the luxury of using someone elses plans. Oh well just adds to the fun
    I have the mill and I took it apart after a 2 hour check out run, I have never used it it's new.
    I have my motors for the 4 axis and power supplies they are 4200 oz/in for z, 1600 oz/in for x and y, and an 800 oz/in for a rotary index. the power supplies (3)will be running 60 volt and the 4200's controller has it's own power supply.
    I'm still waiting for the ball screws, bearings, couplers and a 5 axis breakout board with relay.
    once I get the mechanical parts I can start on the motor mounts. these will be direct drive and that is why the motors are so big. the gear head on the mill weighs 300lbs and I wanted to use this mass to keep down vibration so I'm not going to use lift cylinders on the head.
    here are some pics of what I have so far and i will give my list of parts and cost when I get it all together
    I figure starting this now will help remind me to take pictures but I also going to be slow because of my health I cant lift anything or stand for very long, so I'll be waiting for my son and son-in-laws help for a lot of this
    steve

2. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida
    Re: zx45 milling machine cnc conversion

these are not in any order but it shows what I'm up to
    steve

Attached Files:

3. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

i'm also waiting on another 4200 motor it got beat up on the junk from china

4. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

parts list so far
    prices include shipping and tax if any
    wholesale tools zx45 mill including tax $1920.65 I picked it up local
    3 motors, driver, power supplies ebay#170796217146 $896.00
    2 10mm x 14mm shaft couplings ebay 251009617349 $17.98
    hand pump oiler ebay 170658580507 $49.95
    ballscrew kit with bearings ebay 290649528399 $410.00
    large shaft coupling 12mm x 19mm ebay 370594678819 $33.99
    5 axis breakout board w/relay ebay 290536178924 $26.99
    aviation plugs 10 total ebay 110925099663 $19.50
    shield wire 100' ebay 160632659191 $100.00
    estop and limits from cnc4pc.com $40.00
    I also purchased another motor set 3 axis to use for the 4th axis on this mill and to cnc my 9x20 lathe it's ebay #200740129338 i'm using 1/3 of the kit for this mill so that is 164.00 added to this cost. also this kit had 3- 60v 300watt power supplied not 1 as pictured. the company offered the different kit to me to save them import fees it was in cal.
    so total cost so far not including little items like wire connectors terminal strips ect is
    $3701.31
    here are pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  5. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

For the lighted power switch and circuit breaker for the control wiring I have found a new power strip cheap ($3.50) and I'm going to take the parts from it
    It is cheaper than trying to buy the parts local and the breaker is 15 amp. I'll post a pic when I take it apart. I'm also looking for a relay to turn on the power supplies since they are 6amp peak each and there is 4 of them. when I power this on all the motors are in braking mode 50% load so I wont want all that on the main power switch I'd prefer it to be on a relay.
    steve

6. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

another note I'm adding a switch to turn off the 4th axis power supply unless its in use no need to have it running all the time

7. hq308

hq308 Active Members Active Member

City:
    Sydney

Look's like a good well thought out project so far Steve.

Looking forward to watching you progress on this.

8. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

thank you david
    after sleeping on this last night I have decided to make this all 220v. this will require me to run a dedicated "4" wire 220 circuit from my breaker box to another breaker panel with seperate breakers for the mill, power supplies and 110 circuits. there will be parts like the cooling fans and ac relay circuit that will still be 110v so I will require a ground circuit (white wire )and an equipment ground circuit (green wire). there is too high of an amp load to have the mill and the power supplies,drivers and motors all on one 110v circuit. plus In the future I'm intending to change this 2hp single phase motor to a 3hp 3 phase motor and vfd for speed control, so the 220 will already be there for that. and there will be a coolant pump also. looks like my son and son-in-law will be digging a ditch for the new wire to the house :thinking: I'll draw this all up from the main home load center out and include it with the control circuit drawings.
    steve

9. brucer

brucer Active Members Active Member

City:
    Kentucky
    State:
    Kentucky

when do you plan on granite epoxying the base?

10. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

I have given that some thought but not yet.
    I'm intending on putting the y axis motor on the rear for more room up front and I will be working on the base a lot. dont want it too heavy yet. I cant lift anything so I will be waiting for my son to help me out. also on a lot of the conversions I see they leave the y and z axis ballscrew ends loose. I dont want the screw to whip so I'll be mounting both ends thats going to take careful alignment.
    steve

11. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

I'm also planning on mounting the z and y axis motors directly to the column and base and place the coupling and bearing mounts inside for a cleaner look. this is all still in the planning stage because the slow "junk" from china has not brought all my parts yet
    steve

12. 7HC

7HC Active Members Active Member

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

Following this with interest.
    Looks like the mill will only be 50% of the cost of the whole project.

M

13. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

this type of mill comes from a lot of different companies but there are so many different versions thats why no one is marketing a cnc kit I'm sure. if you look there are many z axis versions with the crank on the left or right
    the wholesale tools version is 2/3 the cost of everyone else and upon disassembly I dont have a clue why. it is very nice and beefy the z axis screw that came with it was 1-1/4" and x y were 1" with adjustable nuts for endplay. some of the companies are asking over $3000.00 for the same type of mill not including shipping.
    also they are 1-1/2 hp this came as a 2hp I'm very happy with the purchase
    I intend to leave the quill feed on the mill, It will make a fast and easy way to rezero the z after a tool change witout making all the tool offsets. I'll just starts with the quill down about an inch and locked. then when i change tools I'll adjust the quill to rezero not reset mach3 z to zero
    steve

14. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida
    Re: zx45 mill cnc conversion

still waiting on parts but here is the rear electronics panel drawing for the g-code I did today
    steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  15. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

I got a little of one of the electrical panels done today and everything seems to be fitting ok
    the enclosure is open on the sides on the bottom and there will be 12x12 air filter in the bottom. air flow will go from bottom to top and exit 2 120v fans, three of the motor drivers were mounted the lowest so they will not be absorbing heat off of the 4 power supplies. the 5 volt assisted breakout board is going to be mounted in the rear upper panel so the cables from the pc can be connected from outside. In the pics i show 2 relays and a transformer (12v) these were in my first plans but i have decided to go with 5v controlled solidstate relays to eliminate some of the wiring and stray emf from the transformer. the fourth axis will have a switch on the front panel to shut off the power when not in use. the power supplies for the 1600 oz/im motors and the 880 oz/in are 60v and the controller for the 4200 oz/in outputs 80v.
    still waiting on switches, circuit breakers, relays, and my ballscrews and bearing so I havent started on motor mounts yet.
    steve

Attached Files:

16. dustooff

dustooff New Member

City:
    Toowoomba

Hi Steve,
    seeing first pics of your mill, I thought 'wunder if he's gunna epoxy it?'

If you haven't seen it already Bob W. has good examples...
    http://cnccookbook.com/CCMillEpoxyFill.htm

with the beefy steppers you're hooking up to the end of those screws,
    you'll need all the rigidity you can get.

regards
    Andrew

17. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

yes andrew i intend to epoxy fill but i also want to install the coupling and bearings inside the z column and base for a cleaner look so epoxy is much later. I also want the y motor on the back. there is a lot to design still.
    steve

18. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

my aviation connectors came today and they sent a free gift...
    microscopic momentary button switches? still no ballscrews yet but they replied after another week and said they are on the way again. I dont think they stock anything I think they order them when you purchase. I will be buying the ballscrews from someone else for the 9x20 lathe conversion i'm doing after this mill.
    steve

Attached Files:

19. 7HC

7HC Active Members Active Member

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

They look like microphone cable and panel connectors; you've certainly got a lot of them!

M

20. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

there are 3 4 and 5 pin and they were $2 each set in lots of 10
    they are for my shielded cable to the motors, limit switches, tach , coolant and spindle control. the relays for the spindle power and coolant pump are going to be in the enclosure under the mill so i'll use them for the low voltage control
    I'm going to cnc my 9x20 lathe also so i'll use them
    I'm starting to buy bulk lol switches 10 to a pack 3 packs different colors lighted
    I have no use for the tiny button switches though I should mail them to bob (rbeckett ) he does a lot of electronic stuff
    steve