Safety Switch

AR. Hillbilly

Registered
Registered
Hi y'all I'm a new guy that just got my first lathe (an old Sheldon) and you have to reach right over the chuck to hit the reversing switch to start the lathe. I have a table saw with a big red flap over the stop button that all you have to do is bump it and it kills the saw. Could I adapt one of these to my lathe in a good location and still keep the reversing switch in the original location? I also wondered about a foot switch? any ideas would be appreciated. I hope I didn't put this in the wrong forum. Thanks in advance. Thad

What voltage? Single phase or three phase? What size motor? Are you looking for an emergency stop only or to start/stop?

It's a 3/4 hp single phase 120 v or 240 v running on 120 v. I want to kill it if something goes wrong and I'm the only one around. I would like to start and stop it without reaching for the reverse switch. I can release the belt to start and stop the spindle and not reach for the reversing switch with the chuck turning but I'd like a quick kill switch just in case of accident or crash.

IF YOU DIG THROUGH THEM SOME HAVE A CASE....I USE THOSE WITH A MAGMET GLUED ON THE BACK SO I CAN MOVE IT WERE IT WORKS BEST

There are some foot switches on the same ebay page that you plug in and plug your machine into the switch. You would have to keep your foot on the switch to keep the lathe running.

Here's another method of an emergency stop for a machine tool such as a lathe. Is using a pull wire safety switch. Mount it about knee high or just below the chip pan on a lathe. All you have to do is touch it with your leg to activate the limit switch attached to the end of the taught wire and it will trip the relay to the spindle motor. And if you have your machine running on a VFD, you could dynamic brake the motor with tripping the limit switch.

here's a couple for sale doing an quick search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIEMENS-3SE...997034?hash=item25b8c967ea:g:n-oAAOSwHgVW8CAF

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schmersal-S...f4f940e&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=162013997034

Hi y'all I'm a new guy that just got my first lathe (an old Sheldon) and you have to reach right over the chuck to hit the reversing switch to start the lathe. I have a table saw with a big red flap over the stop button that all you have to do is bump it and it kills the saw. Could I adapt one of these to my lathe in a good location and still keep the reversing switch in the original location? I also wondered about a foot switch? any ideas would be appreciated. I hope I didn't put this in the wrong forum. Thanks in advance. Thad

The ideal safety switch approach uses a latching contactor to start, stop and/or emergency stop. The contactor has the required number of terminals for the incoming power (single or multi-phase) and an auxillary contact. The auxillary contact (sometimes called a seal contact) latches the contactor by being wired in parallel with a momentary normally open push button. The stop function is done by breaking the flow of current with a normally closed switch. This switch can be a normally closed push button. an E-stop push button, a cable-operated switch (as suggested above) a limit switch or other contact set. Nels (founder of HM) has recently posted a Square D source of wiring symbols & wiring diagrams that covers virtually any motor starting method. That would be a good place to find a diagram for your situation. SAFETY FIRST !

Back