Saw Kickback Causes Death

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
http://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...ts-worker-killed-after-saw-hits-him-in-throat

Massachusetts worker killed after saw hits him in throat
AP,

November 21, 2016

DUXBURY, Mass. (AP) — Authorities have identified a construction worker who was killed in Massachusetts when a power saw he was using kicked back and hit him in the throat.

The Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office says 28-year-old Jason Sanderson, of Carver, and another worker had been excavating an underground water line in a trench when the incident happened Saturday afternoon in Duxbury.

Investigators say they believe the chop saw he was using “became bound” and jolted back at him, making contact with his neck.

Sanderson was pronounced dead at a hospital. Authorities say foul play is not suspected.

The name of the company Sanderson was working for hasn’t been released. The incident is being investigated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Years back i was working, walking around fallen trees with an idling chainsaw ...chain kicked off a low branch and just touched my leg. Shredded my carhart insulated pants and gave a mild gash .
Kickback is a real thing with circular saws and chain saws . Really gotta think about what your doing and stay safe. Really sad for the poor guy . He was probably contorted in a difficult position down in that trench trying to restore service for people.
Such a shame . Thoughts and prayers to the family .

Sad news, lately been wondering is there any other kind? I wonder what type of saw it was? Sawzall, chop saw, bandsaw? I fear power saws ever since one threw a shelf at me in high school, could have broken my shoulder. Much rather use a lathe or mill. :apple:
Mark S.

Lathes and mills can throw stuff in their own way, though I am certain that we all know that already. I've got two scars on my chin that are exactly 1/2" apart that resulted from the open end of a toolpost wrench catching on a spinning lathe chuck and getting thrown at my chin. Hurt like the dickins! Anyway, that was 40 years ago when I was in high school. Am I more careful about spinning wrenches around while the chuck is still spinning? Oh ya!

Watched a fellow using a mill and he didn't have his stock secure enough on the mill table. Yup, it learned how to fly, but not as fast as a piece of flat steel that was being surface ground, and the operator forgot to turn on the magnetic chuck. It's amazing that somebody didn't get killed in my shop class!

Back to the thread at hand though. Really sad to hear of accidents like this, but it drives home the fact that kickback is very real.

I made a 8" x 8" x 6" box out of 1/2" birch plywood with box joints on the corners. The sides didn't line up just right and were about a 1/16" higher than the adjacent sides. No problem - just run it through the table saw and trim the edges back slightly. I made the first cut then ran it through the saw again. Somehow it bound up and flew right back at me hitting me in the chest and bouncing up to the shop ceiling. I don't know how I dodged my face over to the side fast enough not to get hit square in the jaw. No real damage except a bruise that took about a month to heal. I have a new respect for table saws and always stand to the side now.
Never underestimate the power of a spinning blade!

I have a bit of hair on my chest. One very hot day with my shirt off, I was in my shop and needed to do some very detailed metal removal on a part about the size of a green pea. I had an eye loupe in one eye, Dremel with abrasive wheel in one hand and the part in my other hand. To steady everything, I held the Dremel and part close to my chest and bent my head down so I could see my progress while using the loupe. Well…I now know how fast a cantaloupe size of chest hair can be ripped out of my body in just a few nanoseconds!!!! And how funny it looks to see a Dremel trying to spin around with a clump of hair with roots attached to it causing it to thrash wildly out of balance. Luckily after a few months the hair grew back.

I don't think they could even DO shop classes like when I was a kid. Too much liability and insurance problems. Shop teachers/school districts getting sued. Stuff like that. I wonder how many kids maimed themselves in jr. high and high school shop classes?

NEVER underestimate the power of ANY handtool . You would be amazed at what an 18 amp drill with a 5/8" drill going thru a tractor deck can do to your upper body ! Many a times it took me a week or two to untangle my arms . ;)

Back