Sb Heavy Ten Info Search

southshore30

Registered
Registered
image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello and I apologize if this is not appropriate but I'm searching around for info on a lathe I have purchased. I actually placed the deposit and will pay in full when I can get back to extricate from the house and bring home. It's a South bend heavy ten CL 187 ZB which I've found tells me it's a heavy ten with 3 1/2' bed. It's serial number is 13595RKX16. I've tried looking up serial number and only solid thing I can find is that it's definitely a heavy ten and has a quick change gear box. I'm hoping to find more about it but don't have time to send away to grizzly to find more out before I have to go and pick it up. Can anybody help me out? Thank you in advance for any further info!

View attachment 123994

Last edited:
The date is 4/9/63.
The attached files will give you some insight into the serial number, especially the excel chronology file.

Attachments

• -serialno.pdf
    45.4 KB · Views: 15
  • -catno.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 13
  • -South Bend chronology-update-2014-14.xls
    106.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for those links, I'll take a good look through them! It comes with those colletts shown and the South Bend draw bar. There is a four jaw chuck, four tool holders for the quick change tool post and two small cardboard boxes full of misc HSS bits and other cutting bits from what I remember

It's mine. I won't have a chance to pick it up for another week but he has a deposit and we have an agreement. Very much looking foreword to getting it though. It's a one HP 3 phase 220 and he is giving me the phase converter he has been using with it. Would I be better off doing a VFD off 110? I'll have to run 220 to where the lathe will be in my garage if not. I'm not too knowledgable about VFD

With a 1 HP motor you would be better off using a 220V VFD, so run the wire anyway. I would certainly use the phase converter for free.

I would love to get that exact same set up. You truly scored.
More pictures soon i hope.

I have one just like it. Mine is a 1981 10L with 3 1/2' bed and the same cabinet base yours is on. If I remember correctly, the X in the serial number on your indicates it was a 'special'. I do not see a taper attachment or a cam-lock spindle, not sure what other good options they could have come equipped with. Nice heavy 10!

Back