[How do I?] Setting A Huan Yang Inverter Vfd

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just purchased a 7.5 kw Huanyang Inverter VFD cheap off EBay. The manual is terrible but the VFD is running the motor, so at least it works. I have been in contact with the seller but there is a language problem, but he's trying. He just informed me that the VFD is factory set at 50hz and that I need to reset it to 60hz. I can’t find anything in the manual about setting the input frequency. Does anyone know how to make this change?

Thanks
Randy

I would look at the previous threads on this subject, the first is the settings, the second has the manuals. It sometimes helps to give the model number or type as there are various models/series. The manual language issue is a common problem, and they often overstate their ratings. Another issue is the terminals take very small spades for the rated current. Make sure the motor settings are also correct.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/huanyang-vfd-wiring-setup-vfd-newbie.34107/#post-408335
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/huanyang-vfd-basic-input-wiring.46329/

A few months ago I set one up for a friend and changed the cycles from 50 to 60. I don't have the booklet
but do remember making the change. The manual is written in what some call "chinglish" thus making
adjustments somewhat challenging. If you need me to read in my friend's manual and relay the information,
I would be glad to do so but it might take a couple days to accomplish. Maybe others will be able to help you
sooner.

OK, thanks for the replies. From reading old posts I think I am beginning to understand.
The VFD is a model GT-7R5G-2
The motor is @50 year old 5hp 220 three phase
3600 rpm
Type Y
Frame 660
Style 163xp
Rise 50
60 cycle

For programming I have figured out the obvious. But now, how do I determine how many poles the motor has?

TIA
Randy

Synchronous speed for 3 phase motors at 60 Hz would be:
3600 RPM for 2 pole
1800 RPM for 4 pole
1200 RPM for 6 pole
900 RPM for 8 pole
So you would have a 2 pole motor. Given the age of the motor, I would not go beyond the base speed of 60Hz, match to VFD voltage to the motor, and not get to aggressive on the VFD PWM frequency to minimize insulation damage,
mark

Thanks Mark, I would have gotten the poles wrong.
Now, one more question : What P code (or whatever you call it) do you use to indicate the 60hz input voltage?
Randy

Thanks again Mark. Wow, is this starting to get complex. My Teco's were much more simple. All I am planning to do is turn the 3 phase motor on and off. Are there any other esoteric electronic /programming tid bits I need to be aware of?

Randy

Agree that there are a lot of program variables, but it allows better control and adaptability to a wider range of applications and motors. It is a bit daunting up front, but after you have programmed a few of these it starts to make sense. Biggest problem is the manuals are so poorly written and information is fragmented through the manual. The newer inexpensive Teco's may not work as well as some of the older ones, and some of the lack of features gives poorer motor control.

The only other commands that may need to be changed would be for remote functions (Terminal Control Mode) for For/Rev, speed, or programming other inputs (P5.01-P5.07) , etc. and what you want the VFD to do control wise. I usually Auto-Tune the motor which measure winding parameters (P2.06-P2.10) of the motors and stores them in the VFD memory. PO.16 usually set to 1 autotuning with rotation, this must be done with the motor not mechanically connected to the drive system, otherwise use 2 static autotuning. This is done once and then reset this parameter to 0.
Mark

I just purchased a 7.5 kw Huanyang Inverter VFD cheap off EBay. The manual is terrible but the VFD is running the motor, so at least it works. I have been in contact with the seller but there is a language problem, but he's trying. He just informed me that the VFD is factory set at 50hz and that I need to reset it to 60hz. I can’t find anything in the manual about setting the input frequency. Does anyone know how to make this change?

Thanks
Randy
I have the same vfd
And the book is awful. Do you know how to get to the parameters to set up the speed pot on the keypad.???

Last edited:
Back