Sharpen and Hone Carbide Tooling

Gents,

The best thing I ever got from Harbour Freight was this saw sharpener:
http://www.harborfreight.com/120-volt-circular-saw-blade-sharpener-96687.html
The key thing about it is that it runs relatively slowly! Just FYI, it is a brushed motor with a rectifier in the back end. It is slow enough that the diamonds don't diffuse into steel during cutting.
What you need to do it swap to the diamond wheel, and cut a larger opening in the guard. Once you do that you have a great grinder that works on high speed steel, carbide, tungsten electrodes, etc. I use it all the time! I have it right next to the lathe and I regularly touch up tools (still in the toolholder). Here's where you cut the guard (I later opened it up more to the right). You can also modify the saw support into a decent tool rest. The grinding disc can be tilted relative to the table, so you can easily set your relief angles too.
IMAG0849.jpg

IMAG0849.jpg

I use those Enco diamond wheels too. Work good for me.

Charl

Charl- thanks for your reply- what grit wheel do you use? And for what?
I want to be able to lightly reshape, and sharpen most of the way...

Bernie

I don't know if your question has already been answered, but here is what I use. I do wish that they had a finer grit sometimes than the 220, but a light touch with 600 grit flat stone and it's ready to go. Here's the link: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=267&PARTPG=INLMK32. Hope this helps.

Hey Barry

Thanks for posting- very helpful.
So you use the 220, and hone with the 600 stone?
Do you find you could grind badly-formed heels off of boring bars with the 220, or is it too fine to reshape?

Bernie

Just a quick note. CBN will not grind carbide. It will do a great job on HSS, but will not touch carbide at all. If you use CBN you just wasted the price of that wheel. I use the Pink wheels with very good results and they are much cheaper and wear a long time even when sharpening tungsten's for my tig. HTH

Bob

I just use the green wheels, 120 grit. I found using a dremel with a diamond tool works great for making chip breakers.

Back