Shim Type For Under Lathe Base

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey guys. For my Heavy 10 I had secured it to the concrete floor using fine threaded rod epoxied into the concrete, which also allowed leveling. Well, for my 12x36 the floor is pretty even where it's going. The bases are only off front to back about 0.005", per my machinist level, and they are heavy cast iron. I'm thinking of anchoring the bases to the floor so the lathe doesn't move but instead of using threaded rod to level the bases I would use shim material. What type of shimming material do you guys use for under the base/legs of your lathes? I was thinking of going with these slotted stainless tabs from McMaster, or I could get single stainless sheets. Thoughts and suggestions wanted. Thanks.

Last edited:
I bought a couple of feeler gauges from HF and took them apart, using the leaves in combination to achieve the desired amount. It worked well and only cost a few bucks.

The idea is not to level the base or bases, but rather to make the bed ways straight, with no twists or bends. The reason is to make sure the lathe does not cut a taper. Straightening the bed is only one part of setting up the machine so it cuts square and parallel. Level is OK, and it makes the process somewhat easier, but it is not necessary. Do whatever it takes to to get the ways straight. Bolting to the floor is optional. If the lathe is worn, you may need to intentionally twist the bed so it will cut parallel as much as is possible. Testing by measuring and turning and facing metal is required to make a lathe do it's best possible work.

Hey guys. For my Heavy 10 I had secured it to the concrete floor using fine threaded rod epoxied into the concrete, which also allowed leveling. Well, for my 12x36 the floor is pretty even where it's going. The bases are only off front to back about 0.005", per my machinist level, and they are heavy cast iron. I'm thinking of anchoring the bases to the floor so the lathe doesn't move but instead of using threaded rod to level the bases I would use shim material. What type of shimming material do you guys use for under the base/legs of your lathes? I was thinking of going with these slotted stainless tabs from McMaster, or I could get single stainless sheets. Thoughts and suggestions wanted. Thanks.
While I'm sure they would be handy, the tabs could get expensive. Since it will be bolted down I would get a brass shim assortment and cut my own. Cheaper plus now you have lots of extra material for other projects. Jack

I was thinking of going with these slotted stainless tabs from McMaster, or I could get single stainless sheets. Thoughts and suggestions wanted. Thanks.
That's what I used to do the final leveling on my lathe. Much easier than cutting up shim stock. They also have a tool which helps with removal, but it's not really necessary.

The problem with beer cans is they're extruded, IIRC, and the thickness is not uniform.

The problem with beer cans is they're extruded, IIRC, and the thickness is not uniform.

That's even better. You can select a shim by measuring the thickness until you get the thickness needed.

Off topic here, a place I used to work at, we had a high pressure blowout safety device that would get ruptured several time a month. The calibrated rupture disc were high dollar. Well one of the technicians cut up a beer can, and stacked about three home made disc in the device. New rupture pressure was very close to the old pressure. $40 item replace with a 10 cent beer can!

Back