Shop build beast of a chop saw

I started this build couple of months ago thinking i'll finish it in a week or two so i continued writing about it in the question & answer section where i had couple of questions, but because is drag on for so long i've decided to move it in the project section.

The first part i had for this build is this very old industrial 10 Hp motor its 3 phase 380v which is standard 3 phase power here in europe, it already had a good size pulley i plan to use in this build.
DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited:
Then i bought and gathered all the materials for the table for this project, i bought 80 x 54 x 7 millimeters piece of diamond plate which i plan to use with the smooth side up for the work table of the cut off saw, then i bought couple of square tubing to use for reinforcement, i also managed to clean off the workbench and thru the week when i have time i build the table top with all the reinforcements.
DSC_0012.JPGDSC_0038.JPGDSC_0037.JPGDSC_0024.JPG

Couple of days ago i had an hour to spare, so i decided to finish welding the legs to the tabletop, it took little longer than i thought but got it finished and started planning, the pivot point, i have this M24 bolt and nut that should be the perfect size but may end up making a new bolt because of the rust on this one, i'm also debating should i use those 12mm thick triangles or cut the 25mm thick plate and use it instead.
DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0054.JPGDSC_0065.JPGDSC_0066.JPG

Tap tap is this thing on?

late last night after finishing some work on the lathe i decided to do some work on this build, next couple of thing i need to make so i can move forward machining related, first of which was to drill two triangles perfectly in the same place without a drill press, so i clean up all the sides with an angle grinder and then i moved the number 3 jaw 2 steps down, wich let me clamp the plates of centre, started with a center drill which broke, then a couple more drill bits broke but managed to drill them straight and did little clean up on the bolt i plan to use, i'm considering should i drill the centre of the bolt for greasing the joint or the barrel, cross drilling a bolt should distribute the grease better, any advice?
DSC_0049.JPGDSC_0052.JPGDSC_0055.JPGDSC_0060.JPGDSC_0062.JPGDSC_0064.JPG

Today i had some time free so i continued machining parts for this saw, started with an thick wall rusty pipe, clean up the end and made an thin pass on the outside.
Then switched to an boring bar and made couple of clean up passes then i cut a bearing seat, then i looked around for an tool for cutting spring clips on the inside and i had non so i made this one by simply welding a piece of HSS to piece of round stock and cut an groove, also repeat the process on the other side and made couple of passes with some sandpaper to clean it for welding.
Then i moved to making the barrel for the hinge to mount the whole assembly to the table simple clean up pass and a hole in the middle.
Then i moved to cleaning and modifying the hinge bolt, it seems to been made by hand because of all the hummer marks, i did a lot of falling with and hand file while it was turning on the lathe to clean it up, also cut the end flat and drill and tap a hole for a grease fitting, there will be a lot of weight on this hinge, the motor alone weights 6-70kg so i'll be greasing the hinge regularly.
DSC_0068.JPGDSC_0070.JPGDSC_0073.JPGDSC_0075.JPGDSC_0076.JPGDSC_0079.JPGDSC_0081.JPGDSC_0082.JPGDSC_0083.JPGDSC_0087.JPGDSC_0089.JPGDSC_0090.JPGDSC_0093.JPG

Today i had an hour to spare, so i started on the spindle for this build. After work i went to the steel yard, there wasn't much chose in 32 mm size, so this is 4140 or 4150, machining it it definitely is harder steel then hot rolled, first thing i did is to check it for straightness and is with in 0,10 mm which is not a surprising, because this yard take really good care of it steel. Started by taking one deep cut to get ti close to the bearing size and then cut the rest down to 20 mm then came back and finish the bearing jornal, i did most of the machining with a live centre supporting the workpiece. Then i setup my DIY threading attachment in my tailstock and treated it for M20x1.5, i will be using a double nut setup for safety, more to come.
DSC_0095.JPGDSC_0097.JPGDSC_0098.JPGDSC_0103.JPGDSC_0100.JPGDSC_0104.JPGDSC_0107.JPG

Today after work i still had some energy left to do little more machining for this build, first i marked the spindle and chuck up and indicated it. Then i parted it off, cut the side, centre drill it and supported with live centre, then cut it down to 30 mm for the bearing, but made it slip fit and wanted to make it a press fit, so i did little knurling on the bearing side to make it a press fit, now the spindle is finished i need to make an belt pulley which i plan to machine on the spindle itself, more to come.
DSC_0096.JPGDSC_0098.JPGDSC_0103.JPGDSC_0100.JPGDSC_0105.JPG

Back