Shop Lighting Commentary

They're not affected by temperature, but they do take a second to turn on. I'm used to it now.

I bought mine on sale at 1000bulbs.com, but the ones I bought are no longer in stock. Amazon sells them as well.

OK, Thanks for the help. Burt

They're not affected by temperature, but they do take a second to turn on. I'm used to it now.

I bought mine on sale at 1000bulbs.com, but the ones I bought are no longer in stock. Amazon sells them as well.

What is the model number on them and how well do they light?

These are the ones that I bought first:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/113414/FOREST-MT8W09.html

They were cheap (around $10 a tube) but they are only rated for 30,000 hours. The color temp is 4100K, which is equivalent to cool white tubes. They're not bad colorwise, but after I put them in I needed a couple more tubes and I tried these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PG7QIGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're 5000K and the light seems more white. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go for the 5000K LEDs for a shop. I'm no lighting expert though, so you might want to get some other opinions as well.

These are the ones that I bought first:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/113414/FOREST-MT8W09.html

They were cheap (around $10 a tube) but they are only rated for 30,000 hours. The color temp is 4100K, which is equivalent to cool white tubes. They're not bad colorwise, but after I put them in I needed a couple more tubes and I tried these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PG7QIGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're 5000K and the light seems more white. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go for the 5000K LEDs for a shop. I'm no lighting expert though, so you might want to get some other opinions as well.
An interesting vendor. I'll add it to my collection. Thanks for sharing, VS

With the influx of the new LED lighting, I expect some of you have already added some of the
new high efficiency lights. My shop has mostly 4 foot fluorescent lights so will be slowly
phasing them out in favor of the new more efficient and environmently friendly lighting.
I just bought a test under counter light by Feit and installed it over my kitchen stove. It
really puts out the light for it's small current draw. I see there are 4 foot LED shop lights
available now and wondering if any of you have installed and used them. Most of these
shop lights seem pretty expensive to me so decided to procrastinate a bit and take my
time in the change over. Another factor is the fact that all my 4 foot fluorescent lights
are hard wired so would probably have to junk them and replace with the new. I have
not seen any LED 4 foot replacement bulbs but just replacing the bulbs would be easy.
I doubt such a thing exists though as the fluorescents run on very high voltage and the
LED operates on low voltage. I'm curious to know your experiences.

I recently built a shed within my large shed because the main shed has no insulation whatsoever. It can reach over 40 deg Celsius in there. So I partitioned an area, built stud walls and a ceiling.
Doing this allowed me to get rid of the old 4' twin flouros and replace them with 12w LED downlights. These new light have several advantages:
They are daylight temperature so give me a natural tone in an artificial environment. This is important when seeing the right colour matters.
They have no warm-up time like flouros.
They last just about forever. By the time they die, there will be a much better option probably.
They cost almost nothing to run. I have 16 12w lights which, if I were to run them all, is a total 192w. The flouros I had to cover the same area with poorer quality light were 18 x 40w twin fittings that totalled 1440w and that doesn't allow for the start up charge that flouros use.

I have been advised that, if you want to put LED tubes in your existing fittings, they won't last as long as LED flouros in the fitting that is designed for them.

In all, the LED downlights are fantastic. It was an excellent investment. My eyes don't get so tired and I can see my work detail much better. And I save plenty on the power.

Hope this helps. If you wanted to see photos, I can arrange this for you.

i saw those 4ft tubes in home depot too $21 per tube for a Cree brand drop in, which is a great deal imo.

Back