Shopping For Old Dp..which?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for an old drill press and would like a Clausing, Walker Turner/Rockwell Delta or Craftsman.
They will most likely need restoration and have spoken to the good people at Walker Turner. They can rebuild the motor, provide bearings etc..and very reasonable prices and shipping.
RFQ: Walker Turner 900 Series DP

Although we do sell the bearings separately - we do suggest customers to send us the pulley for bearing replacement if the bearings are very tight, to avoid breaking the pulley. We can also service the spindle bearings. Replacement new spindle bearings require either the use of Lock-Tite 680 retention fluid on the bore, or an alternate procedure to band the spindle shaft with one light coat of automotive primer at the bearing interface location. Instructions are provided with purchase of bearings.

WE also provide full Walker Turner electric motor rebuild and restoration to new condition.

P/N 70702 Bearing - Extended Inner race (for pulley).............................$23.87 ea

P/N 6202-625EER Bearing - Spindle.....................................................$ 8.50 ea

S&H USA..............................................................................................$ 6.50

______________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________

Quotation below is for service Remove & Replacement of bearings. You may leave your chuck installed on spindle when shipping quill/spindle assy. If you would like it removed, please note this with your delivery. If you are sending both pulley and spindle for service, pls use the Return S&H for spindle only. If you would like the old bearings returned - please note as well.

Service DDP-6N Pulley R&R bearings incl bearings......................................$ 78.00
Return Shipping USPS USA.........................................................................$ 15.00

Service DDP57XX Spindle Quill Assembly R&R brgs included.....................$ 65.00
Return Shipping USPS USA.........................................................................$ 18.00

We accept check, MO or Credit Card. If you would like to pay by Credit Card, we will send you an e-payment invoice via PayPal (PayPal account not required).

Walker Turner Serviced Machinery LLC
PO Box 666
Coventry, CT 06238

WALKER TURNER SERVICED MACHINERY LLC
COVENTRY CONNECTICUT - USA

My question is, which Drill press for metal and wood is best for hobby machining where parts are available and restorations are possible? I need a good general purpose DP for small parts.
Attached are photos of the WT 900 series and Craftsman DP's I'm looking to buy.

WT_026.jpg WT_290 (1).jpg WT_290.jpg

Probably either one will do but I'm a bit partial to the Walker Turner machines. The WT machines are well built, that's why there are so many still around. I have 3, two working and one that I haven't gotten around to yet. Either machine will be significantly better than any of the similar sized new machines from China.

I will not buy a Chinese made machine. USA or nothing. Which model of WT's do you have?
ANy photos? Thanks

I have 2 900s one working and one in the queue. Both are bench models. The other is a later 1200 (also 15") floor model that I inherited from my Dad. I have pictures of the 900s but not the 1200 (yet). There are "before" pictures of both 900s and the after picture of the one that I use. (Sorry the after picture shows up sideways, it looks fine on my computer.) I also use the 1200, I might have some pictures tomorrow.

DSC_3603.JPG DSC_3607.JPG DSC_4048.JPG

I'm partial to my Walker Turner Light-Heavy Weight 1100. I got her in pieces, missing a motor and a table. Took a while to find the right prices.
Please remember that drill speed is a factor which may require multiple jack shafts and pulley increase/reductions in order to meet the requisite rpm.
Metals check out: http://its.fvtc.edu/machshop1/drillpress/cutspeeds.htm
Wood? I'm sure that there are formulas that someone has or can find.

Daryl
MN

I have a 15" Atlas. It is a very good unit. Early Craftsman were Atlas also. It's a tall order for a DP to do both wood and metal without a sped reducing sheave (pulley) in the middle. I use mine for both but when you get up to the bigger drill sizes it spins to fast.

ARKnack speaks wisely. Heed his words.
I outfitted my WT with a two speed motor and a stack of step pulleys. I built a table out of I beam leftovers fom a bridge.

Daryl
MN

Here are some pictures of the WT1200 I inherited from my Dad. It is a floor model with the round base. It has the slow speed pulley but currently I have it set up with a single belt and the slow speed pulley turned out of the way. The light is a sewing machine lamp mounted using the hole intended for the belt cover I don't have. The neon pilot light on the name tag was my Dad's addition but it looks almost factory. The table doesn't have a single drill mark. Again sorry about the sideways pictures, they look fine on all my computers (Windows 7, 8 and Linux along with my Android phone but I upload then here and the get mangled).

IMG_3477.JPG IMG_3478.JPG IMG_3481.JPG IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0853.JPG Here are pics of my WT with the shopmade table (it's heavy!) as I prepared to mark the holes to bolt her on. Also included is and the step pulley turned from 6061. In combination with the two speed motor, I've got what I deemed a nice speed selection, with appropriate increments and range. However, I did more math than I wanted to in order to get the results. The space between the channels is helpful for clamping or drilling into so I don't engrave the table. It also holds long round stock very nicely.
IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0853.JPG
Daryl
MN

Daryl
MN

I'm not sure how to fix my prior post.
Sorry.

Daryl
MN

Back