Should I Consider A (free) Gallmeyer & Livingston Model 25 Surface Grinder

Dan.

Registered
Registered
My employer offered me a Gallmeyer & Livingston model 25 surface grinder free for the taking. I know very little about this brand and even less about this grinder. Can anyone share any information about this machine, is it worth rebuilding, is it a workable piece of machinery?

I tried searching Gallmeyer and Livingston in the forums but found minimal info.

Kind Regards,

Dan

Even if it is junk surely you can put the parts to use.
[Edit] Besides, if they decide to give away the EE10 you wouldn't want them to have the idea you aren't interested in free machines.

Last edited:
Free Iron? Never turn something like that down.

I hate to play to stereotypes, but did you ever notice that wives don't often ask their husbands whether they should acquire another handbag or pair of shoes, and that husbands rarely ask their wives about new tools? Gotta pick your audience for the important questions. <laugh>

Unless it's known to explode or cause cancer, I doubt anyone here is going to tell you to let it go to rust! ;-)
--
Rex

They are a heavily built grinder. But depending on its age, it could be one of the older one's that the slides are of the dovetail design or it could one of the newer ones that runs on ball slides. If I recall- Thomson took over G & L many years ago.

As others have said, "Don't look at a gift horse in the mouth!" Jump on it!

If I were close You would have had to type the last half of the sentence faster as I would already have been there loading it up.

if you have the space and want a surface grinder,
it seems to be a no brainer to me...:D

I always say "If its for free, give me two"

Do you have it home yet?

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. Free is definitely a good deal but I don't want to spend too much time refurbishing something that may not have been all that great to start with.

Back