Should I Restore My Sheldon?

Finster

Registered
Registered
Picked this up awhile back. It's a 10" Sheldon with a 54" bed. I think circa 1940's? It's been abused maybe from a school at some point. The spindle is tight, less that .0005 runout. However, the ways are worn and the carriage has been run into the chuck more times that I would like to think of. All that being said, it will still hold .001 in a 12" turning. It's a nice little lathe and built tough. I'm thinking of restoring it as a project. Any idea what it would take to get the ways ground and scraped? The cross feed would also need done. Do you think it's worth fixing this old timer up? If anyone knows of a good place to take it near me, I would appreciate a recommendation. I live in Western, PA half way between Erie and Pittsburgh. Here's a Pic.
lathe.jpg

I would keep it and use it as is. making repairs as you go.
I sold a Sheldon 11x36 and replaced it with a 4003g. The griz is a good lathe but I regret selling the Sheldon, I should have kept it for a backup. The sheldons are brutes and well built.

Unless you're repairing watches, ( and with that lathe you're not) the cost of grinding and scraping the ways would be prohibitive. You will be able to make and hold any tolerances you need with that lathe, once it's brought back to life.
Enjoy the use of it.

My 1937 SouthBend is in similar condition. My choice is easy; I do NOT want to be without it for as long as it would take to have the ways professionally done.

If the accuracy you have is "good enough", then the pursuit of perfection may be your enemy!

-brino

My 1937 SouthBend is in similar condition. My choice is easy; I do NOT want to be without it for as long as it would take to have the ways professionally done.

If the accuracy you have is "good enough", then the pursuit of perfection may be your enemy!

-brino
You have a valid point. However, not having one for a few months would be a good excuse (for the wife) to buy another one. Then I could multi task ! :)

I also vote restore. Check out the yahoo sheldon group. There's a guy on there who worked for sheldon and is a gold mine of information. I cleaned/restored my old sheldon a few years ago and its been great re-learning what my gradfather taught me years ago. Not only that, but he taught me on this lathe so there's other value for me.

Of course you should - it's a cool lathe! You can work around the bed wear. School lathes have their limitations but they deserve all the love you can give them.

John (owner of an ex-school lathe)

Back