Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Got it! Many thanks. Consider it built!

EDIT:

And here it is! I went with the round version, simply because I had the round stock, but no square. I turned the shaft down to .375 for the bearing, and held the bearing in place with an E-clip. I cut the E-clip groove with a screwdriver tip. (Which I heard about on some forum; not sure which one!) But it worked great. In fact, I used the first one to center the shaft for the second one. Woo-hoo!

Where do you guys get bearings? I went to the local bearing store, and paid about $11 each for these. I don't even know if that's a decent price, or not. (I know it's better than the $22.50 each he had on some others, the same size!) Do you get a few common sized ones to have around for that midnight inspiration, or do you order them as needed?

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Last edited:
Got it! Many thanks. Consider it built!

EDIT:

Where do you guys get bearings?

looks good Mike!

I actually got my bearings from old rollerblades wheels that I found and disassembled. may not be good enough for some precision applications, but certainly good enough for this purpose at least so far.

1st place I check is Boca Bearings sales. especially for little bearings.

One of the wonderful things about building your own tooling is if you need 12$ each bearings a slight modification could maybe get you into .99$ bearings.

I use them in RC helis and often replace the crap that comes in a 700$ heli kit.

If you don't feel comfortable just search out the part # and you may find that the .99$ bearing is a 12$ bearing if arrived at differently.

Steve

Boca has been added to my bookmarks. Thanks!

To use, set the lathe on a very low speed, just lightly snug the work piece in the chuck. The bearing should be brought up to the wobbling part, and as you apply presure, the work piece will start to run straight. Once you have it at a reasonable run out, check with your indicater. If your happy with it, tighten the work piece, and re check to make sure.

I think I get it, but why two bearings?

M

Thanks for the tip on VXB. I might grab a batch of those skateboard bearings just to have around. I guess quality isn't an issue, since I wouldn't be running anything high speed on them.

I was looking for a bearing with a 1 inch OD. That would make the math a lot easier if I was using it as an edge finder. It's odd (at least, I think so!) that they are so hard to find. Plenty of 7/8, and 1-1/8, though. I found one and ordered it http://www.amazon.com/Freud-62-120-1-Inch-Replacement-Bearing/dp/B00004T7NR but why are the standard bearings the odd sizes? Anybody know?

1st place I check is Boca Bearings sales. especially for little bearings.

One of the wonderful things about building your own tooling is if you need 12$ each bearings a slight modification could maybe get you into .99$ bearings.

I use them in RC helis and often replace the crap that comes in a 700$ heli kit.

If you don't feel comfortable just search out the part # and you may find that the .99$ bearing is a 12$ bearing if arrived at differently.

Steve

Steve,

A little off topic but how in the world can you afford RC helis AND machine tooling costs at the same time. My heli hobby died when i bought my lathe and mill. Now all of my extra spending money (and extra time) goes to my new addiction.

Back on topic, I also recommend Boca bearings for precision needs. McMaster-Carr is also a good source.

Dan

Ok guys
Im hearing the crickets in here again :dunno:

You guys must be building somthing. So, give it up for a look, and dont forget the pics :nono:

Finished or in progress, its all good :worthless:

Back