Simple tilt table

Ray, I noticed the tilt table in the video didn't seem to go all the way to a 90. This is how I built mine, Since my vise jaws are 2" tall I chose 3" round stock. I milled a 1" deep pocket in from the side to the center of the stock. My plate is 6 x 9 and I bolted it to the milled pocket. This lets the plate tilt all the way to a 90 and since my jaws are taller than half the dia. of the stock it clamps solid in any position. I'll get some pics when I get my camera working again.

Yes yes! Pics, pics! :).

... Then I'll make yours! :)

Bernie

That's a really neat idea. Very simple, but it looks rigid enough, especially with the jack screws. Yet another tool on the 'must build' list.

Here's a sketch to show how I notched the round stock on mine and attached the plate. No pics yet my camera is driving me nuts. This might give you the general idea until I get it working

tilt table.png

Here's a sketch to show how I notched the round stock on mine and attached the plate. No pics yet my camera is driving me nuts. This might give you the general idea until I get it working
Always a better way to do something when you get a lot of heads together. This is the way to go! Thanks for the drawing, I was having trouble understanding what you had done as well.

M.L. Woy

Looks like a great project. I found a 7" long piece of 3" stock tonight and started the true-up process. I'll look for a plate at a scrap yard visit next week.

Jack

I turned the shaft and milled the notch out this morning. The shaft dressed down to about 2.625.

viseplate1.jpg

Jack

viseplate1.jpg

Nice work Jack, I made my shaft short enough to be able to turn it 90 degrees in my vise and use it if I had to. Your Kurt probably opens 6 in. anyway. I'm also tapping the edges for work stops. Pics to follow.................................

Nice work... I'm really looking forward to making one myself. Such a nice idea and it will last a lifetime. I was thinking of putting some swivel screw mechanisms so it could be precisely positioned and held fimly to hold-up under milling pressures... I have some ideas in mind... Y'a gotta love stuff like this...

Ray

Nice work... I'm really looking forward to making one myself. Such a nice idea and it will last a lifetime. I was thinking of putting some swivel screw mechanisms so it could be precisely positioned and held fimly to hold-up under milling pressures... I have some ideas in mind... Y'a gotta love stuff like this...

Ray

I'd be interested in seeing what you have in mind. I have been putting together some parts for one that I'm going to build. I have been planning to add another round bar, so that it would be jacked up like a sine plate, although the sine coefficients would be irrelevant.

Back