Simple ,usfull projects?

dontrinko

Registered
Registered
So far all my lathe/mill projects are accessories for my lathes. Any suggestions for a simple ,useful project I can make for use around the shop or home? Thanks; Don

I saw this in an old machinist magazine. I have avoided wing nuts in my woodwork jigs since I find they are a hassle to get loose and often seem to get stuck over time. The magazine article turned down the one end to fit a cordless drill. I did not feel the need to use with a cordless drill.

I made this for max 3/8in dia screw.

I machined the inside at 45 deg. Not sure of the exact angle of the sides of the wing nut, but does not have to be a close fit.

Two 1/4in wide slots machined in the sides for the wings.

A 1/4in dia bolt for leverage.

Wing_nut_wrench_7673.jpg

So far all my lathe/mill projects are accessories for my lathes.

I seem to recall somebody had something like this in their signature line:

"Lathe - a tool to make parts for a milling machine
Milling Machine - a tool to make parts for a lathe"

About two years ago I realized that since I had retired I had been buying and fixing machines for the two years since I decided to make my little shop. And making tools, accessories. etc. So I designed a product. It required milling, turning, drilling, tapping, and some other operations. I made five of them and it took about two months as I used it to refine my processes. That required making more tools, more accessories, etc. And buying more things Then I made 25 more of them in about two weeks.

The result was that since then whenever I need to make something useful it goes much more quickly. I've made brackets, yard equipment axles, faucet parts, and a number of other things rather quickly.

The point is that when you optimize the use of your machines then the things that you want and need to make should go easier.

Don, how about you tell us what you like doing..as in hobbys, etc. We may be able to give you some hints.

David

A lathe, or a milling machine for that matter, is a "thinking time" machine. At first when you first got your machine, you spend "time" trying to "think" of projects to make on your machine. Later, you will "think," will you have "time" to make these projects that keep coming your way.

How about a meat tenderising hammer
tenderize-tough-cuts-meat-hurry-without-mallet.1280x600.jpg
Make a different size spike on each side, fancy turning on the handle with a knurled end for grip so it doesnt spin in greasy hands.
Or out of wood with interchangable ends that screw on.
hammer.jpg

Check out 'Members Projects', 'Shop Made Tooling' and 'Project of The Day - What Did You Do In Your Shop Today' Forums; among others on this site. I get a lot of inspiration from listening to the other guys experience. That's what this site is about. You may find interest in steam engines or fire arms. Not simple projects but may set you out on a new path. I like the oil cans that have been demonstrated.

I don't look for machining projects, I have machine tools to make anything I might need. Of course nowadays I often put a lot more effort into making something nice when before I might have done a hack job or purchased it.

Here's how it usually goes with me. Maybe some of you can back me on this.

I get an idea, design it, and start planning how to make it, which often leads to needing some sort of tooling or something else that I don't have. Of course, it's cheaper to make it than buy it, so I make what I need.

By the time I get that done and have what I thought I needed, if I actually make what my idea was to start with, then it was important. Sometimes that happens. But other times I've either forgotten what the original idea was, or lost interest in it completely.

Sounds like a waste of time, but it's not. I now have new tooling that I can use for future projects and it helps sort out what ideas really matter long term and what ones were just a quick "that's cool" moment that is very low on the priority list. The idea is still there, as well as the design. And sometimes I come back to them.

So, just making tooling isn't a bad thing. It improves skill, builds your tool "arsenal", and can give you useful ideas in the process, especially if it involves learning new methods and techniques.

Back