[How-To] Smithy 1230 and Grizzly G9729 threads

George R

Registered
Registered
Hello

New to the forum, but have been looking for a 3-in-1 machine.

The Grizzly G9729 appears to be the same machine as the Bolton BT800. Was leaning toward the Grizzly, but might consider a used BT800 if I find a good deal.

From what I can tell, the the main between the G9729 and the Smithy 1230 are the swing over the bed ( 16.5 inch versus 12 inch) and maybe threading.

From some of the posts, it sounds like the G9729 is not set up to cut LH threads. The Smithy website says the 1230 will cut LH and RH threads.

Is this correct? If there are other differences, more information would be appreciated.

Also, am I correct that the G9729 and BT800 are the same?

Thanks

George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any lathe can cut left or right hand threads. That is dictated by the tool you use. As for comparison of lathes, they're probably made in the same factories as the other. It’s the QC that would be different brand to brand. You’d get better support from grizzly. Does Bolton even offer replacement parts?

Any lathe can cut left or right hand threads. That is dictated by the tool you use. As for comparison of lathes their probably made in the same factories as the other it’s the QC that would be different brand to brand. You’d get better support from grizzly. Does Bolton even offer replacement parts?

Thanks for the reply. What I was seeing was someone making an idler gear to reverse the lead screw. So, I would just need an idler gear to make LH threads on the Grizzly.

I was leaning toward the Grizzly because support appears better than Bolton and the swing is bigger than the Smithy. Bolton has a parts page, almost everything I clicked on says out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this thread is older but may get the answer I need because it relates to the machine I'm buying. Can this machine be adapted to actually cut 0.5mm thread pitch. I'm buying one of the G9729 machines with a bunch of tooling and round stock for a good price. Tooling included alone would be worth around $800-1200.

The Mida 1220 and 1230 specifications say
Threads (Metric)0.5 to 4 mm0.5 to 4 mm
The Grizzly G9729 says 0.75 – 6.0 mm

Back