Smithy CB 1239

gredpe3

Active User
Registered
I'm on the hunt for a Mill/Drill.I have been telling everyone I know,just in case somebody has one for sale.A friend told me about this guy that had a 3-1 and wants to sell it.I went and looked at it.How do I know if its a good deal? The Machine looks all there,but surface rust has started to grow on all the non- painted sufaces.There is a steel cabinet that comes with it that is full of do dads.Dial indicators,outside mics,cutters,several different size vises for the machine,parallels ,v-blocks and on and on.A lot of multiples in those items.The cabinet is one of those 6ft x3ft x 1ft double swing out door style.Can we discuss price here?
Eddie

Yes you can discuss his asking price and your offer. The tooling is the expensive part of that equation too. Smithy machines are about as good as the other 3N1 machines but di suffer from a lack of rigidity like it's brother and sister machines I have a Very Primative HF that is even less of a machine than the Grizz so I know they can be coaxed into producing high quality parts with a bit of patience and care. What kind of price is he asking???

Bob

I just sold my CB1239 about two months ago. I had it for 15+ years and used it quite a lot. Even then it liked like new other than a little wear on the paint around the switches and levers. The ways were in perfect condition and everything worked perfectly.

With the unit I also sold, AXA toolpost and 6 toolholders, 6" 3-jaw that came with it, 8" 4-jaw that I had purchased new from Smithy, 4" vise bought new from Smithy with machine and a lot of tooling that won't fit my new machine(s).

Good ones are out there for sale but you have to hunt for them. While I had mine for sale there was another one on the same website for sale that the guy wanted what I paid for mine new back in the late 90's and he had no tooling or accessories to go with it. Definitely try to get as much tooling as you can in the deal.

Mike.

Didn't get pics,im sure I could clean it up with some elbow grease.He is asking 2k.Honestly I believe there is that much in tooling alone.But being this will be my first real Machine,I really don't know if it's worth it or not.Can't seam to find one for sale to judge price.It's about 5ft long and 6ft tall,well its on a stand.He said weight was 1000 lbs.It's got 2 motors one for the mill/drill and the other for the lathe.Still has the manual.

That is what I got out of my CB1239 with all of the tooling as well and it was in pristine condition. The other guy in my area was asking $4200.00 which I thought was rediculous.

For a 12x39 lathe it was pretty descent, but as a milling machine it was lacking.

Mike.

If you use it, that may very well be a good deal. The "do dads, etc." may very well make it a great deal. The nice thing about Smithy is they are still "there" and when I've called them, knowledgeable people have answered the phone.
Make a lower offer and see what happens!
If you don't use it...

I had some down time this weekend,thought about the 3-1 machine alot.Originally I am after a Mill/Drill.This Smithy popped up and the idea of a lathe started me thinking about how useful it could be.I have never operated a Mill or a Lathe so it will be all uphill anyway.I'm gonna go take a second look this week and snap a couple pics for the more experienced to look at.Maybe you guys will see something I dont.
Eddie

Just a quick update,the guy acted as if it was an inconvenance to come take a second look and snap some pics.He also stated the price was firm.
I have decided to pass.
Eddie

P.S. Still on the Hunt.

Back