some help on a last world indicator

jam

Active User
Registered
I have got a last world indicator that is not a Starrett Last Word Indicator it is a henry a lowe and i can not find no info at all IMG_0883.JPGIMG_0885.JPGIMG_0894.JPGIMG_0895.JPGIMG_0896.JPGIMG_0897.JPGit has a pat date june 29-15 on it and in the # 3 image it has B2927
the make i don't know can someone send me info on it ((((((( it works good ))))))
to be to a 99 years old
and if i was to sale it what is a good asking price

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

jamace

IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG

Where in the world did you find that?? I cannot help you with any of the history or anything like that, but that is a true treasure, and in excellent condition, too. As for value, I have not got a clue.

H. A. Lowe was the original manufacturer of the "Last Word" indicators and Starrett bought the company in the late 1930's. It was likely made in the mid 20's.

From the Sept. 1915 edition of the Machinery magazine.

LastWord.jpg

LastWord.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find! I'd save it and not use it. A piece of history when it comes to indicators. Love the color case hardening!

thanks 4 the info
I was going to put it on ebay someone tell me a good starting price for a old tool like this

Gads, now I feel old...

I feel older:

caliper.jpg

:roflmao:

Jokes apart, Jam, I suggest you to post on eBay also the old article posted by Don, to make clear it is a real collection object and not just an old tool, even if it works smoothly (and this increase its value).
For an average starting price, follow for some days the closing offers of old Starretts, so you have an idea of how the market is moving. IMHO $50 would be a good starting price, but I don't know enough the U.S. market, so don't take my word as "last word".
Don't forget to use the word "Starrett" in the auction title (something like "pre - Starrett"), so it will be easier to find it.

caliper.jpg

today I got in the mail the brother to the H A Lowe indicator IMG_0899.JPGIMG_0900.JPGIMG_0901.JPGIMG_0902.JPGit is the model C the model
B is 0-40 the model C is 0-30 and the face rotates on the model C on the model B it dose not o well I got the tool junkie fever bad stop at a yard sale on the way home today
got 7 files a wood plane two Williams wrench and a General No. 810 Plane Blade and Chisel Sharpener all for $20.00

IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0901.JPG IMG_0902.JPG

starrett last word mod C photo2.jpg starrett last word mod C.jpg starrett last word mod C photo3.jpg last word model C henry lowe.jpg I have a model C with the H. A. Lowe logo on the stem. I bought it on ebay described as a Starrett indicator so I got a surprise . I did notice also that it is one way and lacks any side switch. Wayne

Back