Someone Must Recognize This Tool......

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi Guys,

I got this in a basket of goodies along with a "Drum Dokter" brake-drum lathe.
It is obviously a wrench for something, but I do not believe it belongs with the above.

The text says "Keep screw well oiled" and "Made in Canada" on one side, and "Gray", "827H" on the other.

My father-in-law guessed it was a tire lug wrench meant for hammering on the bosses....but what "screw" would it be referring to?

Yes I did a web search for that Gray number; no-go, bad-data.

I just know that someone here has used one. What was it originally used for?

wrench1.jpg wrench2.jpg

Thanks,
-brino

(...and no, that is not a crack at one point of the hex.)

Its a hammer wrench that fits on a brake drum puller used on older (way older) Chrysler rear brake drums. They were mounted on a tapered fit with a keyway and were tough to remove without this tool

They are still used on Studebaker hub pullers. Yes, it's a hammer wrench, you mount the puller on three lug screws, put a heavy screw through the puller against the axle and put the wrench on the hex on the end of the screw. Turn it tight and start hammering. The axle nut is torqued to 170 ft#, then to the next cotter pin hole. It takes a lot to pull the hub off.

We have several of those. Just about all mfgs. used tapered axles. Then getting into the 1950's more or less
tapered axles gave way to a flange studded axle which we live with today.

Thanks for all the replies.
I knew this was the right place to ask the question!

I'll have to do a search on that puller to understand it better, and to know if I got parts of that in these boxes as well.

-brino

Back