Sourcing Dorian Torx screws replacements?

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need to buy some Torx screws for a Dorian threading tool I have.

The Dorian number is GTS-IM. (Also found anohter number in my searching DOR- 3310190964)

Are these Dorian screws proprietary or are they a standard?

I have found them at a couple of places at about 4 bucks each. Looks like they tend to gall a bit and I wouldn't mind having a few on hand.

Here's an enlarged photo of it. For scale, it's 0.391" long.

torx screw.jpg

That looks like an undercut head. You can get those at McMaster-Carr.

I'll bet it's proprietary as it has a shoulder, most standard screws that length are fully threaded. Check McMaster Carr, if they don't have it, its non standard.

That looks like an undercut head. You can get those at McMaster-Carr.
I looked at McMaster early this morning and didn't see one with a shoulder. But maybe I didn't look deep enough.

These are usually standard sizes, either metric or US thread. I use to source mine from an eBay seller that had US made hardware, but no longer see them. I would go to Carbide Depot, much better pricing then Dorian. Usually the hardware specs are on the side of the holder for some insert holders.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/

If I need a screw right away I go to my local Travers & pick one up but I'd rather wait if possible (see below). The screws are branded with their in house name (TTC) but they seem to be good quality. They carry most parts for Dorian tool holders where MSC doesn't. I'd rather go to my local MSC though whenever possible, I'm not a fan of Travers.

But if I don't need one in a hurry, I normally buy my replacement screws from ebay seller jazzd4golf which is my first choice. They've been selling insert screws for a while & have a great selection as well as quality. Just need to do your reseach when buying what you need to make sure the specs match in case the description doesn't.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pieces-...671440?hash=item256ecc47d0:g:5P0AAMXQO21Rupgw

Will, that's the guy I was looking for. He's definitely a lot cheaper, and why he didn't show up on ebay when I searched, I don't know.

Yeah, the listing I posted above, shows a Travelers Tool Co. part number. Wonder if "Drill Spot" is Travelers?

Ken

Here's the correct screw needed. The picture is not correct. This screw that Dorain uses has a 6-40 UNF thread on it. It is not metrc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-286-036-GTS-1-INSERT-TORX-SCREW/390971394057-I?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41375&meid=71ae369a284c4bb29b830b54b7b94256&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=390971374014&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I doubt your going to get a standard flat head socket screw to work in place of this one.

Ken
Ken,
The photo above is of an actual screw that came out of the Dorian threading tool.

I am afraid that it is metric. The spec on the screw is stenciled on the side of the tool. GTS-1M. I am assuming the M means metric. Is your Dorian different?

Here's the stencil on the side of my tool.
torx screw spec.jpg

Will, thanks for the ebay seller. I searched his store for the GTS-1M.

The link you provided looks very good. Perhaps I will call Dorian tomorrow to confirm my tool requires metric. Probably not much chance of getting any help from them though based on my prior experiences. The haven't yet learned how to spell customer service.

Back