Spindle thread size Southbend Heavy 10

Discussion in 'THE SOUTH BEND MACHINERY FORUM' started by Jericho, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jericho

Jericho Active Members Active Member

City:
    Kimball
    State:
    Tennessee
    What is the correct size thread for a Southbend Heavy 10 (10L) lathe. I for some reason thought it to be 2 1/4 -8 but it measures over 2.2 " OD on the threaded end and that confused me?Can't find a thread chart that big. I'm trying to buy an aftermarket backplate and collet holder adapter and it would be necessary to have the right info.
    Thanks.

2. Tony Wells

Tony Wells Administrator Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    If it is the small bore option (1.231 ID) it will have 1 7/8-8 threads. If is has the standard bore (1.629) it will have 2 1/4-8 thread. It should measure close to 2.250, but not over that, but probably not under about 2.230. I didn't look it up, just guessing. If you need the thread details, I can do a GageMaker data sheet for you.

3. Jericho

Jericho Active Members Active Member

City:
    Kimball
    State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks again for the help Tony. I had a brain fart while measuring my threads and tripped out thinking 2.125" instead of 2.250" when checking OD. As soon as I saw your post I knew what I'd done but without your help, wouldn't have caught it so soon.

4. Tony Wells

Tony Wells Administrator Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    Glad you got it figured out, Jericho. I was worried that somehow the OD had been machined or worn/damaged.