Steel Building Info

mike silvia

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys
I'm in the process of looking for a steel building to put up for my garage/shop. I'm looking for a decent building for a lowish price. Gonna have some machine shop equipment in it and a lift for my cars. There are a bunch of companies out there and they seem like used car salesmen so I figured I'd ask for some real life experiences. Shop will be going up in SE Massachusetts so I'd also like to ask about if and how you insulated your buildings
Thanks for any input

I have a Mueller Inc. building. Not sure if they service Ma. but give them a call.

My daughter bought a quanset hut style building from Steelmaster
http://www.steelmasterusa.com/lp/cl...act,S:Google&gclid=CMv5wPzIl9ECFRc6gQodmtwN7A

From what I've seen, you can get a pretty good discount off of the published price and free shipping. My daughter doesn't have the building totally up yet; apparently they screwed up and need to pull some of the arches down and reset them. I guess that is what happens when you are 4+ hours from your building site and have friends help assemble a building. I think it's pretty good quality.

Mike

My daughter bought a quanset hut style building from Steelmaster
http://www.steelmasterusa.com/lp/cl...act,S:Google&gclid=CMv5wPzIl9ECFRc6gQodmtwN7A

From what I've seen, you can get a pretty good discount off of the published price and free shipping. My daughter doesn't have the building totally up yet; apparently they screwed up and need to pull some of the arches down and reset them. I guess that is what happens when you are 4+ hours from your building site and have friends help assemble a building. I think it's pretty good quality.

Mike

with this style I'm just worried about how I'm going to insulate it
Thanks

You could adhesive panels of the pink insulation boards to the inside, or use firring strips. You could frame the inside to accept insulation .

Nels posted while I was writing this; I think you would have the same issues with any steel building. You could use fiberglass batts with wire spring type holders, the manufacturer can explain your options. I would think any of the manufacturers would do the same.

R-30 insulation with scrim sheet (fiber reinforced ) held in with clips and wire 12" OC. Not sure if it would work on a Quonset hut style building due to lack of red iron. I would google snow load on Quonset style building as many have collapsed under load. I'm assuming MA gets plenty of snow. Most steel building companies offer a 3" insulation that gets sandwiched between the skins and red iron. I opted out of this and upgraded to 10" thick batts.
IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0487.JPG

Back