Stick welder under $800.00 ?

just thought I'd mention it in case you decided to go for a no-compromise, tiny lunch box welder that punches above it's weight class.

There is also the Miller CST280 if you can find a used one for a good price. I have not used that one though, but it is supposed to be workhorse for pipeline work as well.

Except that will not run 6010 as per the original requirement. The vast majority of hobby stick welders will not.

Come to think of it, the harbor freight stick welder says it will run it, for $300. Who knows, maybe it can. But even then some lower-priced units claim that as well, but fall short as the arc will snuff out quite easily.

I guess I am spoiled with a Dialarc HF. RUNS any electrodes great !
I don’t even weld as often as I would like to for getting any inverter machine. The warranty will run out before I get to use it enough.
Call me Old School.

I have a HF Pro Tig 165 that works great with stick. They have a Pro 200 that's $100 out of your price range but in your weight range. Their Titanium multi 200 is $800 and 24 lbs. That's the best I can do. Good luck!

Don't sell yourself short. If you want a great running stick welder that runs any and all electrodes, you owe it to yourself to obtain one!

I have a HF Pro Tig 165 that works great with stick. They have a Pro 200 that's $100 out of your price range but in your weight range. Their Titanium multi 200 is $800 and 24 lbs. That's the best I can do. Good luck!

Do those weld 6010s properly? (not half-azz'ing it like bottom-barrel bargain inverter welders)

I really can’t say. I bought the welder to learn TIG. It does great. I tried stick for the first time the other week. First with 7018, and it was a miserable failure. I’m sure if I was experiencing, it would run 7018 fine. I was welding rebar to make lattices in my garden. At the recommendation of another member here, I tried 6011 and it welded great. I have no other stick experience. As for its TIG performance, remember I’m a novice in all welding disciplines, it was easier for me than my Lincoln Precision Tig 185. I bought it for aluminum but haven’t tried it for that yet.

Looks like it is 35lbs.
with my back, I would like a machine to be under
25 lbs.
I also want a unit that comes with leads, a work clamp and stinger that are appropriate for the maximum amps of the machine.
How does this compare to a Miller Thunderbolt
210 dc stick welder ?
Thanks

I have a Miller Thunderbolt 210 (220V) and it does NOT run E6010. I was very disappointed with this!

I immediately called Miller, and they confirmed that the machine will not run 6010. They recommended that I use 6011, information which I was well aware of. However, I like 6010! It is by far my favorite stick electrode.

Last edited:
Back