stuck chuck

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
i have a 10-l with a bison 3 jaw that i bought new. had it off maybe 10 times. usually with not much effort. not this time!!!!!!!!! what i thought would make it easy, is the use of a impact wrench that i borrowed from a friend. no go!! why the impact wrench dosen't work is that my compressor is probably too small. what i need to do is lock the spindle from moving slightly. how do i do that?? i won't engage any gears; because as tight as this is, i probably would lose some gear teeth. perhaps with the spindle locked; i can use a large breaker bar on the .875 hex stock that is in the chuck for use with the impact gun. can't believe that the chuck is this stuck. i have a small cheap strap wrench that helps a little; but spindle still slips. going to the hdw. store later to look for a heavy strap wrench. if they have none; will order online. oh, and before anyone asks, yes i am turning in the right direction (left).

I had difficulty getting my chuck off my Southbend Heavy 10. Like you mentioned, I had read about not using back gear. I have a lot of wood working clamps. I was able to use a clamp to grip on one of the headstock pulleys with the clamp bar to rest against the headstock casting. It slipped a little but I was able to get the chuck off. I had a bar mounted across the face between the chuck jaws for leverage.

Good luck. I know the frustration.

Thanks for the internal pipe wrench suggestion. I will get a set to have on-hand. I have on occasion wanted to remove chromed pipe without damaging the chrome.

The impact is not a good idea. Since you already have the hex stock, use the lathes inertia. With a breaker bar, start turning the lathe backwards, then snatch it forward.

The impact is not a good idea. Since you already have the hex stock, use the lathes inertia. With a breaker bar, start turning the lathe backwards, then snatch it forward.
NOOOO, that is sure to break a gear.

The problem with using inertia, or an impact wrench, for that matter, is that most of the mass is in the chuck. The spindle itself has very little mass and because if its small diameter, its moment of inertia is even less important.

Simple steps.

Bake sure NOT in back gear.

Gear train off.

Get a chunk if 2 X 4 2 ft long.

The biggest hammer you can find and a helper.

Chuck needs to have something in it and snug and magic will happen.

Observe the flat in the hole for chuck wrench as it needs to be parallel to ways

Now rotate chuck to where the chuck wrench is straight out in front.

Place the chuck wrench into the hole.

Have the helper hold the 2 X 4 across the chuck key snug to the chuck.

Smack it with the hammer GENTLY.

small hammer you need speed nut large hammer has more energy so gentle smack usually will do it.

Rotate and repeat with 1 or 2 smacks on each hole and it should come loose.

Last time you installed it you may not have seated it and it seated while using.

We usually give the last 1/4 turn a rapid spin and that seats it and removal not to bad.

Here's a video from our YouTube friend Mr. Pete on removing a stuck chuck.

Good luck,
Ted

Back